PlexTools DAE advanced options question

Hey everyone, after doing some research on audio ripping i have found the program for me, and that is PlexTools. However, some of the options have me confused. I want to get the best quality rips possible, and yes, i am using a plextor drive, 16/10/40A to be exact.

The manual is pretty descriptive, except for one thing. It doesn’t really differentiate between “recover the best sector” and “recover the best bytes per sector” It has the same description for both of these, just with different words.

I have the following checked: allow speed down, error log, 99 retries, and 100 maximum errors ( is there a way to make this 0 or check that there isn’t a single error in the copy?)

The only thing i can’t figure out is which of the above two options to have selected, best bytes per sector or best sector?

Is there anything else i should know in order to make a perfect digital copy…i then plan to encode these wav files using Monkey’s Audio.

Thanks

PlexTools and Monkeys Audio! – You have good taste! :bigsmile:

Set your error correction all the way to #5 (recover best bytes per sector) That option will take all the correct bytes from all 99 reads and piece together the best possible sector. – Option #4 is faster, but not as good.

Allow Speed Down, Error Log & 99 Retries is all correct, but you want your maximum errors set at unlimited. Setting it higher will tell plex-tools that its ok to take even longer to do better error correction. (maximum errors doesn’t mean the number of errors that will be allowed in your wav file)

Make sure that in the options box on your Digital Audio Extraction screen that the “Audio Error Detection” box is checked. Other than that, just make sure your using the latest release of PlexTools, and that your drive has the latest firmware flashed into it. (Just click the “check for newer firmware at Plextor Website” link in your plextools program.)

heh, thanks Dillweed. I got everything to work ok…it seems almost too ok, i’m ripping stuff at 40x with an average around 25-30x sounds pretty insane compared to EAC.

Monkey Audio on the other hand is pretty crafty. I only got 70% compression levels when using highest compression with “verify after compression” enabled. After unchecking this i got 45% compression, pretty nice…but it says that the cpu usage is around 6% if i use extra high compression. Do you think it’s worth the sacrifice in compression to go to go from extra high to just high compression in order to get back some CPU cycles?

Thanks.

it seems almost too ok, i’m ripping stuff at 40x with an average around 25-30x sounds pretty insane compared to EAC.

Don’t worry, its normal for PlexTools to go that fast. This is because PlexTools doesn’t have to read every sector twice to make sure its correct. It will know if there is an error because your plextor drive will report one if threre is one.

Do you think it’s worth the sacrifice in compression to go to go from extra high to just high compression in order to get back some CPU cycles?

Probably, yes. The file will only be a tad bit bigger, but the cpu usage will be significantly lower. – But then again, if your processor is fast, using extra-high compression might not be a big deal.