Plextools Can't Detect Burner

vbimport

I’ve been through three versions of this (1.17-.19) with an 8/4/32A Plexwriter by QPS.

In the main screen, the burner is detected as a Plexwriter.
In CD Copy, it is detected.
I can use the CD-RW function.
I can DAE from it, though the function is worthless on this species of Plextor.
I can play the cds and detect them inside the program.

HOWEVER

Neither Audio CD Maker or CD-ROM Maker can find the damn thing. Whenever I try to make a compliation and get to the burn screen, there is nothing in the drive list and the message is “No media inserted.”

Everything else on my system works. Only useful bits of weirdness I can offer is that Nero’s InfoTool finds that my system ASPI is corrupted (I disagree, I’ve installed three different Adaptec layers to instructions… 4.60, 4.70, and 4.71… and everything is working fine.) And, of course, my Plexwriter is rebranded… its detected as QPS W8432T… but still recognized by Plextools.

Someone shed some damn light on this situation.

Windows XP SP1, IMAPI burning disabled, with Nero and CloneCD also installed.

Originally posted by jackhole
Windows XP SP1, IMAPI burning disabled, with Nero and CloneCD also installed.

Have you by any chance tried this one yet ?

CloneCD Tray --> Virtual CloneDrive --> Number of Drives : Disabled

The tray

There is no option for Virtual Clonedrive in the CloneCD Tray.

I don’t believe I installed it, as I am already running Nero’s ImageDrive.

Edit

Anticipating the next bit of advice, I uninstalled ImageDrive. Now I get Sensecode 000000 (No additional Sense Information), with the same unselectable/unavailable burner list as before in the two Maker windows.

Okay, looking at threads that detail flashing Plextor firmware on rebadged Plextor drives.

Yet everytime I flash, and the firmware number changes, the Vendor ID remains QPS. How the hell do I get that to change to Plextor?

>>Yet everytime I flash, and the firmware number changes, the Vendor ID >>remains QPS. How the hell do I get that to change to Plextor?[/QUOTE]
>>

I advice you to download alcohol 120%, it supports Plextor quite well. I have PlexWriter 12/10/32 and it works perfectly and you can also change your vendor id, product id, product rev. level… in case you didn’t know yet.

later… =)

Plextools is designed to work with drives identified as Plextor. Plextor clones with another name can’t use all program functions.

Several years ago there was some work done to change the name string on Plextor clone 12/10/32 burners to the original Plextor identification. I did it myself on a Plex clone TDK 12/10/32 which was changed to a Plextor 12/10/32 in the firmware.

As far as I know, nobody has ever done any work on a name string change for a QPS 8/4/32A, and probably never will for this obsolescent drive.

If you are interested in the historical aspect of how the name change was done for the 12/10/32, take a look at Plextor 12/10/32 Name String Changes. Even then, it didn’t support QPS name changes to Plextor.

I’m just wondering why a 2 YEAR OLD POST WAS REOPENED :a