Plextools 2.18 won't load

I have a 712A that I bought a month ago. I have not been able to use plextools since I installed it. Plextools installs fine and all the upgrades install fine as well up to the current 2.18. When I try to start the program my mouse shows the busy cursor for a few seconds and then nothing happens. Since I have never used plextools, shouldnt a program start or at least show an icon in the taskbar? Burns cd’s and DVD’s just fine. Could it be a conflict with other software perhaps? I have several cd burning programs installed.

hello guys

even i have been facing the same problem i posted the thread
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113551 but no ones replied please help us.
thanks in advance

There was a registry fix but mods deleted it

Are the ones having trouble with Plextools running Windows 2000 by any chance?

I believe I read in a thread on here in the last month or so that it was determined the service pack installs of Windows 2000 would cause the freeze problem as described. However, vanilla Windows 2000 worked. Obviously, this is not a solution, just an observation that has been made that may eventually help resolve this.

I started experiencing the same problem with Plextools after version 2.08. I just have an old 48/24/48A drive, so 2.08 provides all the CD functionality that I need.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=87098

As noted in the post above, I believe this problem started happening with a feature Plextor implemented in version 2.09 which indicates “Support for adapters with multiple busses”.

No, using XP Pro SP1 here and I did not see the reg fix earlier.

Are the ones having trouble with Plextools running Windows 2000 by any chance?

No. I have WINDOWS 2000 PRO W/SP4 and have PLEXTOOLS via registry hack. I have no problems with it. I would post how to apply the registry hack but since cdfreaks took it off this forum site I’m not sure if it can posted again. Ask one of the moderators.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

Why is the reg hack so taboo? If I bought a drive that came with software that is not working, why shouldn’t people help me with a solution? I don’t get why the moderators see this as a problem.

A registry hack is for people that don’t have the software along with the drive they purchase. If you have the Plextools CD, then the registry hack won’t help because installing from the CD actually writes the registry correctly.

Ok lets try something. What other burning software you have? If I remember correctly, I think one of DLA from other software can cause a conflict, maybe hp dla?

DVD_Addict…

I wasn’t saying that Windows 2000+service packs didn’t work at all for anybody, just that that was one observation that was made with people that were having trouble with it.

Something else that I thought might be a possibility is the inclusion of an extra IDE controller (like Promise IDE cards, raid etc). In my case I have one that are just connected to hard drives. My Plextor runs as secondary master on my motherboard IDE controller.

Gumby42 and kanishk, just for the heck of it, can you try installing Plextools 2.08 and see if that works? I couldn’t find a link on the web so I put it on my webspace. If someone knows of another link, please post.

http://home.dejazzd.com/mfrench/PTP208UEN.exe

I know that even if 2.08 installs properly for you, it won’t support features for your particular drives. HOWEVER, it will further prove that the changes they made with 2.09 are the real culprit.

ALSO, I assume the reason the registry hack has been removed is because Plextools is now being officially sold through the Plextools website. (12 euro plus vat tax if applicable).

I am using Alcohol 120, Nero, and Easy Cd Creator. I also have Daemon tools installed. All are latest versions. Thanks for the advice on the reg hack.

Ok, here goes. I installed the 2.08 that I got from Agentk7. It installed fine even though I did not uninstall 2.18. It asked me to reboot but I said no. I noticed that it had the Blue P icon in my tray and I was able to call it up for the first time ever. I went ahead and rebooted but it would not let me start 2.08. It said it could not find exe. I went to control panel and found plextor 2.08 in Add/Remove and did a repair on it. It then worked fine. I then installed 2.18 over 2.08 and then rebooted and now 2.18 works fine. Life is good again :slight_smile: Not sure what the 2.08 install did, but it made it able for my machine to accept 2.18. I had previously tried the original on the cd as well as the last 3 updates that have come out, but this was my only solution. Thanks again for the help all.

Gumby42…

Wow, I didn’t expect that to allow 2.18 to work for you, just to observe whether 2.08 worked at all. Hmmmmm… I guess I’ll try the same thing to see if it makes any difference…

BTW, Gumby42, what kind of motherboard/chipset do you have? Also, how many IDE devices are you running?

DFI mobo with nforce2, using 4 ide devices, 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives. The 712 is master on ide1. A DVD drive on slave.

Hmmm, I’m running an nforce2 board as well, but am using the Microsoft standard drivers (not the nvidia IDE ones).

Anyway, I tried basically what you did. I installed 2.18 overtop of 2.08. However, I did not reboot, just went into my startup items and disabled Plextools from starting up (to avoid the computer hanging with every reboot). Rebooted computer. Attempted to start Plextools and had the same problem.

thanks agent7 for your help and for hosting that file
i did forget to mention i have a cm d pci-0649 ultra dma ide controller, i disabled it and could run the plextools 2.08 successfully after around 8 months, means that the card could be creating the problem but with 2.18 still have the same problem.

i am using microsoft standard ide drivers as well. All is still good :slight_smile:

I had the same problem with XP Home SP2. If you watch carefully when your system is starting up, Plextool “Splash Screen” will appear, then disappear forever (until next reboot). No icon appears in the System Tray.

Try this–Click “Options” on the splash screen (before the S/W minimizes) and select the option to startup “Maximised”. That’ll solve your problem, at least it worked for me.