PlexTools 2.09 & nVidia's SW IDE driver

Plextor delivered us just a new version of PlexTools! Version 2.09 is the lastest PlexTools from Plextor.
The previous release (2.08) did not work with nVidia’s SW IDE driver. Does this version fix that problem?
(Of course, I can try myself, but my system is stable at the moment, so installing new motherboard drivers is not the coolest thing to do at the moment ;)).

Originally posted by ernstblaauw
Plextor delivered us just a new version of PlexTools! Version 2.09 is the lastest PlexTools from Plextor.
The previous release (2.08) did not work with nVidia’s SW IDE driver. Does this version fix that problem?

I have not tried it myself, but the following things are listed in the update list for v2.09:

PlexTools Professional V2.09 released on 23 December 2003

Added:
CD-ROM Maker: support for DVD
CD Copy: support for DVD
Support for adapters with multiple busses (could this be NVidia SW IDE driver support?)

Changed:
CD-ROM Maker -> CD/DVD-ROM Maker
CD Copy -> CD/DVD Copy

Bug Fix:
AudioCD Maker: some WAV files are not correctly written to disc, causing ticks during playback.
a few minor bug fixes

If I had a better internet connection I would download this update and try it immediately, but I will have to wait for a while before I can try it.

In the last months, nVidia updated their SW-IDE driver to version 4.12, and Plextools reached version 2.11.
Still, Plextools does not recognizes my PX-708a as a Plextor drive. That means i cannot adjust the special settings (Single session, PoweRec).
Has anyone a solution? I like to use nVidia’s SW-IDE driver (low CPU usage), but i alo want to adjust the settings of my PX-708a.

Hi!

I would not recommend using the SW-drivers. After I installed them (the latest version, last week), PlexTools 2.11 did not recognize my PX-54TA and PX-116A2 as Plextor-drives anymore. Even worse, when I put a CD into the PX-54TA and autoplay tried to check the content of the CD, the whole system hung until I removed the CD. I could not even move the mouse anymore!
However, the PX-708A was recognized correctly by PlexTools and worked fine.
I am glad the driver can be uninstalled! After I removed it, all worked perfectly again.
NVIDIA should realy have a look at their IDE-drivers!

Greetings,
Hirngranatn

Your PX-708A was recognized correctly? How did you install the 4.12 drivers? And did you use Microsoft’s IDE drivers before the 4.12’s?

Originally posted by ernstblaauw
Your PX-708A was recognized correctly? How did you install the 4.12 drivers? And did you use Microsoft’s IDE drivers before the 4.12’s?

Yes, it was recognized correctly. After a fresh installation of WinXP, I installed the “Unified driver package 3.13” from NVIDIA. When the install-programm asked me if I want to install the SW-driver, I selected “No”. The system worked fine with the Microsoft-drivers.
When the 4.12-SW-driver was released, I wanted to give it a try. I installed it via the normal install-programm. After that, the PX-708A was still recognized, but I had problems with the other drives (as mentioned above).

Originally posted by Hirngranatn
Yes, it was recognized correctly. After a fresh installation of WinXP, I installed the “Unified driver package 3.13” from NVIDIA. When the install-programm asked me if I want to install the SW-driver, I selected “No”. The system worked fine with the Microsoft-drivers.
When the 4.12-SW-driver was released, I wanted to give it a try. I installed it via the normal install-programm. After that, the PX-708A was still recognized, but I had problems with the other drives (as mentioned above).

To which controller is your PX-708a connected? And is it master or slave?

The PX-708A is master of the secondary controller. It is the only device connected to that controller. PX-54TA and PX-116A2 are master and slave of the primary controller. Harddisks are connected to a Promise IDE-Raid-Controller.
I have an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard with nforce2-chipset.

I wouldn’t use nvidias crappy IDE drivers. When I tried them and tried to flash the firmware it would crash just before the writing began, every time. DVD’s wouldn’t play in completion without crashing in any drive. Switching to the MS drivers fixed those problems.

Nvidia’s IDE drivers are crap.

This has been a problem for quite sometime, If I install the SW drivers, my plextor premium is only recognized as a regular cdrw it has none of the special functions. I did email plextor about it, and they are not working with nvidia to solve the problem, their response was the the nvidia drivers were faulty and felt it was up to them to make sure it was compatible with hardware on the market.