Plexor px708a

vbimport

Anyone help with this problem…ive been burning dvd-r disc with no problems but i have just tried dvd+r and for some reason i have not had one succesful burn. Home dvd player refuses accept disc and plexor doesnt want to know about disc inserted and computer then locks up. Can anyone give advice

try setting the booktype to DVD-ROM in Plextools Pro before burning.

try different +R media.

I too am pulling my hair out over my drive. Everybody raves about Plextor, and I have to agree about performance. When they work, they’re awesome but when they crash they’re dead… This is the second time this has happened to me. I am really beginning to wonder about their drives… About one or two months out of warranty and it’s gone. My previous drive was a 12/10/24A and it lost its mind and just blinks at me eternally. The computer won’t recognize it or anything.

Now just a couple of weeks ago my Christmas present from 2003, the PX-708A died. This is a different kind of death though… The drive is seen by the computer and seems fine until you insert media. You get nothing at all, not recognized. The Amber light comes on momentarrily but then goes out. I’ve tried the diagnostic process with the blank CDR while not hooked to the computer and I get the same thing. Iv’e tried every kind of disc and media I have and It’s just worthless. I opened it up and watched it initalize itself when you insert a disc and the laser comes on but then nothing. This whole thing happened during a failed CDRW erasing session. Nero was 99 percent done with the process but it just sat there for 20 minutes whirring and burning. The system was so badly locked that I had to pull the plug to get it to work again. When she came back up though the drive was gone. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated, Tech supprot told me to piss up a rope. No reply to several e-mails no nothing, just like the drive.

would help it you indicated what brands of cdrw you’ve used…if the drive passed the diagnostic test then it could just be the brands of media you’re using…can the drive still burn dvd media?

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW:)
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDs

Sorry about the multiple posts, I allways get paranoid that a single post will fall through the cracks… I’ve had the best luck with Memorex DVD-r media of all the brands. Imation DVD-r worked very well until recently when almost every single dvd I burned would have errors about 12 minutes into the movie. The Comp USA brand was decent as well. The only real problem media for me was the generic stuff that I made the mistake of ordering.

As far as the media I used for the diagnostic test. I tried everything I had which was my memorex drd-r blanks, my phillips cd-r blanks, one of the imation dvd-r blanks, A stor bought music CD, one of my kids PC games, and a store dought DVD. I was thinking about trying to use the plextools that came with the drive but they would probably do no good since it can’t read anything.

Luckily, my PX48/24/48A is still working so I’m not without a cdr burner but I hesitate to even talk about it since it is only 2 months older than the 708A…

From what I gather on this site I was fairly lucky to have mine last as long as it did since it was built during a period of high failure issues. This is according to a handful of posts I found while scouring the board. by the way, the drive was dated September, 2003 with a TLA of 0002. I probably got close to 200 burns from it… well thanks for listening and if anyone has any tips I’d appreciate them.

By the way, I was looking into a BenQ drive. Does anyone have an opinion on their products?

Buddykins wrote

By the way, I was looking into a BenQ drive. Does anyone have an opinion on their products?

:slight_smile: The Benq 1620 drive is excellent. It is said the drive tends to like DVD+R media over DVD-R media. But in the last few firmwares DVD-R can be burned just as well as DVD+R. Take a look at the Benq forum and see the threads in there. I have 2 rebagded I/O Magic drives that are BENQ 1620’s. What sold me on those drives is bitsetting is done automatically for DVD+R media with official BENQ firmware. There’s no third party or hacked firmware to enable bitsetting like other brands such as NEC. I have flawless burns and they playback perfectly fine on any standalone dvd players. You can purchase a NU technology 163 drive from newegg.com which is a rebadged BENQ 1620 as well. BENQ will be coming out with their newer drive some time in the next few months. mwave.com still has the BENQ 1620 drives in stock as well.

My ole 708a drive is still going strong after over 600 burns of dvd media. It was my first dvd burner TLA # 0102 October 2003. try using the recommended brand of media to do the diagnostic test. if the drive can’t read anything then it’s probably dead as a door nail.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW:)
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2) :slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDs

Well, I just purchased the 1620 bare drive for 63 bucks so we’ll see what happens… Just can’t be without a drive while i try and figure out what went wrong with my 708A. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I just don’t have the heart to give Plextor another chance after 2 failures in a row. Maybe my next drive will be a plextor again… We’ll see… thanks for the help.

Buddykins wrote:

Well, I just purchased the 1620 bare drive for 63 bucks so we’ll see what happens… Just can’t be without a drive while i try and figure out what went wrong with my 708A. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I just don’t have the heart to give Plextor another chance after 2 failures in a row. Maybe my next drive will be a plextor again… We’ll see… thanks for the help.

your welcome…feel free to ask questions in the BENQ FORUM as well… :slight_smile:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW :slight_smile:
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2) :slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE