Plex PX-716a DVD 8x Dual

I sell now the plex and buy a pio a07!no DVD-R 8x for the plex704a.

On March 04 the new plex drive come out.
Plextor PX-716a with 8x DVD-R and 8 DVD+R!!

What for do you need 8x DVD-R? DVD-R has enough problems with 4x writing. The only interesting innovation in the next future is double layer. To this day nobody can say which drives will be able to handle these discs after firmware update.

my x-box and my standalone player don´t accept DVD+R.

DVD-R has the bette rperformance.i have only good experience with DVD-R 4x.

are you sure that the Plextor PX-716a is 8x bruner?? ( I read somewhere else that this will be the new 16x speed burner… )

Hmm… maybe guessing from the name? 716? 16x DVD+R and 8x DVD-R?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ET

Originally posted by Fanta
are you sure that the Plextor PX-716a is 8x bruner?? ( I read somewhere else that this will be the new 16x speed burner… )

The 16x media specification won’t be finalized until later this year. You can’t make media without a spec, and you can’t make a drive without the media.

Speculation would have a drive writing at a higher speed, maybe 12x with +R 8x media, like they do writing 8x on 4x media (16x would be really pushing it)

Originally posted by bob11879
You can’t make media without a spec, and you can’t make a drive without the media.

Plextor did bring out a 8x burner while 8x media not being finalised or available.

Yes, but they were able to capitalize on the multitude of 4x media on the market. It was not too much to double from 4x to 8x. It’s a bigger jump to go from 8x to 16x and expect the same consistent quality. 8x media is present but still difficult to find, with new vendors coming out almost daily. If they can go from 8x to 16x, they will have to wait until more 8x media becomes available and it is of sufficient quality to guarantee burns at 16x. If you follow the forums you can see daily the complaints that surface because the 708A will not write at 8x with ALL media, as some customers expect. If 4x media varies so much in quality, it would follow that cheap 8x media will also be of lower quality. That’s why the speculation that they might go for 12x.

Hey guys , you have to prepare your hdd to write at 16x on dvd :slight_smile:
The transfer will be about 22600 kb/sec :wink:

I got some Lite-On 8x DVD+R and 4x DVD-R media. I’m trying them on Lite-On 401@801, Lite-On 411@801, and Plextor PX-708A.

konsolen wrote:

my x-box and my standalone player don´t accept DVD+R.

It’s my understanding that LiteOn drives have a bitsetting tool that will enable the XBOX to playback DVD+R. You may want to check out the Liteon forum in here. I recently bought a Liteon 411s and used the bitsetting tool for DVD+R and it played on one of my standalone dvd players that is not compatible with DVD+R.

I’ll stick with my Plextor 708A for awhile. I’m highly satisfied with it. I’ve had no problems with it so far. KNOCKS ON WOOD
:wink:

Not all Xbox consoles are the same. There are three types of DVD-ROMs used in this console: Samsung, Philips and Thomson. I have the Philips version myself and it plays both DVD-R and DVD+R but only when I use quality media. The Samsung player is said to play almost everything while the Thomson player is said to be the most problematic.