I did some testing, and I dont know if anyone has done much, but considering I want to see what the possibilites are, here are some interesting results, and some odd results:
1) With the Plex tools running in the back ground (In the systray) I assume people know that GigaRec can be used with Nero. I didnt like the idea that I had to use the Plex tools, especially if you want to make a VCD you wouldnt be able to, but once you activate the option, then you can use Nero to do so. Or any other software possibly of your choosing (Only have tested this with Nero at the moment).
2) Has anyone noticed that when you use overburning with the Plex Prem. It limits the burning process to no faster then 40X. I found this to be odd, considering the other 3 burners I have overburn to the recorders max burn speed (I have a Yamaha 44X which burns at its max speed). I tried this 3 times with the PT2.02a and various media, and even with a 99Min CD, but it will not burn faster then 40X. Yet if you dont overburn, then it will burn at Max. Is this a limitation or something that a firmware update will address?
3) Seems that with the Plex Prem. The speed varies greatly with burning normally opposed to overburning. Normal burning the PP starts @24X but if you tick overburn, it starts @20X.
4) There is an intermittent problem with the Plex Prem. and the PT2.02a. It seems (at least here on a clean system) that at times, the ejecting of a CD will not occur, if you hit the eject button, or right click on the drive and select Eject, the CD will not, if you do a write test or a read test (Depending on the CD thats in there) and then abort, then you will be able to eject the CD. I dont know if this is an issue with the drive or the software.
5) The PT2.02a tools does have alot of issues with XP, if the program locks up for any reason, and you try to kill the process, it seems to freeze the system where you cant do anything. Which Plextor will get an email from me to deal with the issue.
These were done with firmware 1.00, I have not updated it to 1.01 due to awaiting to see if the update firmware removes any capabilities. OS is XP Pro.