Plex Combo 320A DMA jumper

Hi

I just bought a Plex Combo 320A which is my first IDE burner. I was wondering whether to put a jumper on the DMA pins on the back of the drive.

I am using Windows 2000 SP3 - should I install the jumper or just let it be like it was (unjumpered)? Also are there some DMA setting in Windows 2000 that has to match the jumper setting?

Thanks

Originally posted by petspeed
[B]Hi

I just bought a Plex Combo 320A which is my first IDE burner. I was wondering whether to put a jumper on the DMA pins on the back of the drive.

I am using Windows 2000 SP3 - should I install the jumper or just let it be like it was (unjumpered)? Also are there some DMA setting in Windows 2000 that has to match the jumper setting?

Thanks [/B]

Will they make the drive ata33? :confused: Most drives already use DMA. I have a x16 plextor with pins on it also. I figure if the drive came that way why mess with it? Think you will only need it if it burns faster then x20 I have read people say it makes them read sub channels better if you use the pins, but dont know if their blowing smoke or not :confused: Maybe someone with more info will join in on this.

From my review of the drive:

Besides the usual MASTER/SLAVE jumper setting we can also see a jumper to set the drive to MultiWord DMA mode. The drive normally operates in UDMA33 mode (recommended).
So leave it as it was: unjumpered. By default the drive will run in UDMA33. The drive can already read the SubChannel Data just fine so setting the jumper will not effect this. Windows 2000 should set the drive’s operating mode to UDMA Mode 2. If not then there’s something wrong.

Thank you both. I will leave it unjumpered.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]From my review of the drive:

So leave it as it was: unjumpered. By default the drive will run in UDMA33. The drive can already read the SubChannel Data just fine so setting the jumper will not effect this. Windows 2000 should set the drive’s operating mode to UDMA Mode 2. If not then there’s something wrong. [/B]

What else could be wrong? I’ve got XP pro sp1, Asus P4c800 Deluxe. I’ve got the Plextor combo drive as the secondary master. The CD drive once worked in DMA before I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS.

Only change I made in the configuration of the hardware was to make the SATA raid from the promise controller the boot hard drive.

I’ve made sure that in device manager the controller the CD drive is attached to is set to use DMA if available. If tried toggling this setting as listing on a Microsoft’s site. But in Device manager is still shows it is using PIO. The BIOS shows DMA2 for that drive.

Screech, welcome to the forum. Please read the troubleshooting part of the FAQ. It deals with solving the DMA problem in Windows XP.