Plex and N Force2 Boards

vbimport

I have a plex 40/12/40a and a 24/10/40/a on a asus a7n8x deluxe which is a N Force2 board. My problem I can not get the 24 to show up as udma so it runs in PIO mode and I can get the 40 to show up as UDMA but it locks my system up when I put a cd in it data music game whatever. As soon as I remove the cd my system unfreezes. I can run the 40 in pio mode but then both drives are very slow ripping audio at around 12 times. I have called Plextor and Asus to no avail I believe my drives are fine they were working great untill I put them on this new MB.
Any ideas ?

You could try to update the latest BIOS for that motherboard. Also try a different or an 80-pin IDE cable. Oh and not to be rude but double check that the jumpers are correct. I’ve used my 40-12-40A in UDMA fine in a friends a7n8x deluxe. The OS was Win98 SE.

i had the same problem with my plex 24x…i was and still using Windows XP Pro…and i think this will work with HOME too…

what you will need to do is go to properties…from my computer…
==========then click on the “hardware” tab
=========next click on device manager tab
==========once in the Device manager…click on the IDE/ATAPI controllers…click on the Primary to see if your hard drive or any other devices are runnin UDMA…if so great …if not change to DMA if Available then uninstall the controller and reboot…you will have to reboot again when windows’ finish the installation

when final reboot is completed go back to the device manager and see if your hdd and/or cdrw drives are runnin in UDMA

hopefully you have you hard drives on the PRimary Controller and your cd/rws etcc… on the secondary controller…dont forget to look at both and make the changes …fairly simple!!!

Thanks…tried all that when the drives would go into udma and I put a cd in them it would freeze my system open the drive door system unfreezes called plextor and finally someone said there were some problems with earlier drives and some of the new chipsets but not before I traded my n force board for a kt400 asus a7v8x deluxe and had the exact same problems. Went and bought a plex 48/24/48 and it works perfectly now I just need to buy one more so I can copy on the fly in three minutes +/-

Hi,

got some questions:

If you use the Plextools´ “Audio CD maker”, what is your CPU-Usage?
What is the manufacturing date of the drive?

Regards
Philipp

Small side note: the Plextor PX-W2410TA does not support UDMA33 and only MultiWord DMA mode. This can give you some problems in Windows XP (see the FAQ)… The PX-W4012TA does support UDMA33 (mode 2).

[b]Oops this info is incorrect: PX-W2410TA supports UDMA33.[/b]

I have given up on the 24/10/40 but I just talked to plex tech support again and they want me to e-mail engineering to explain my problems and see if they will rma the 40.

The tla on the 40 is 0000 and the manufacture date is Feb 2002
I do not remember the exact cpu usage but it was high on Nero CD Test seemed up to about 30% where my new 48/24/48 never went above 6%

odd that is…however, my PX-W2410TA is runnin UDMA mode 2 …i will post a pic of that…but my 8/4/32A runs at multi-word mode 2

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Small side note: the Plextor PX-W2410TA does not support UDMA33 and only MultiWord DMA mode.

Sure? http://www.plextor.be/English/products/pxw241040A.htm
tells that it supports UDMA33, so it´t doing here. ???

Regards
Philippl

Oops, yes you’re right, I made a mistake… I was thinking about this thread and got the PX-W2410TA mixed up with my old PX-W1210TA drive. Thanks for correcting me! :wink:

Originally posted by jcoop
I do not remember the exact cpu usage but it was high on Nero CD Test seemed up to about 30% where my new 48/24/48 never went above 6%
If you use Plextools AudioCDMaker, what is the cpu usage then on that board with the 4824, please.

Thx
Philipp

I no longer have that board because I assumed the problem was with the board and not the drives. I now have a
Asus A7V8X KT 400 chipset board and have the same problems with the 24/10/40 and 40/12/40.

I’d try to get that a7n8x back its so much nicer than a a7v8x:)

I don’t want to get flamed but IMHO Windows XP. . . Sucks. I like 98SE or 2000 depending on what im doing.