Plex 820 - media problems

Hi all…

I do have a couple of 820s. The do work very nice but I am having trouble trying to write to some media (black cdr, etc.)

Someone told me that maybe a firmware update could help but I can’t see anything newer that 1.07.

Anyone can help to try to solve this?

Thanks in advance…

Luis

Use this link: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/downloads/firm_820_108.exe

Just a quick confirmation, in general a newer firmwar version will indeed improve media compatibility.

Hi, I have this burner with fw 1.08 and I can tell you that I tried various cdr (not black)… Verbatim, fuji, Plextor, princo and I have never had any problems.

Hi again…

I have updated the firmware to 1.08 and again I am not able to write this black media…

ATIP: 97m 26s 51f
Disc Manufacturer: Lead Data Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Thanks again…

Luis

What is the error message you get and for which speed is your black media certified? Some high speed media don’t work so well at lower recording speeds.

Well, this media is certified for 16x…

The error it gives CDRWin is:

Error: “Finish Dao Recording” command failed on devive 2:1:0
Read/Write error or bad medium detected (04h 00h 02h 03h 0ch 07h)

If I use a liteon recorder, it writes without any problems at all…

Any help?

Luis

I would suggest trying different software. If that also gives the same error then there is a problem with the drive and it simply cannot record properly on the media. When different software does work then the problem probably lies with CDRWin. You could then try using the latest version or switching to different software. Hope this helps…

My Plexwriters 8/20 and 8/2/20 do not have problems with black media like Zeus or Memorex.
Speaking about this, I continue thinking that these recorders are the best for recording all type of cds:bigsmile:

Hi,

those media issues are a real problem for all these burners which support is discontinued.

Although, these burners are so old (but so good in case of PX820 :slight_smile: Parker knows what I mean), that burning in 8x, 12x or even 24x is way below normal CDR acceptance. So it shouldn’t be a problem (also with some luck involved :slight_smile: ).

I’ve got a PX8/20, PX12/10/32, PX24/10/40 (& some others :slight_smile: ). I’ve no problem writting on any kind of media (some are 3 years old in their original package !). As a matter of fact, when I buy CDRs, I don’t care choosing carefully. I take the first or the cheaper, and I never complained… I tested all kind of media I could grab (black, all flavor (color :slight_smile: ), 74 min, 80 min, 90 min).
I must admit that’s a bit lucky, because why not imagine that some brands or CDR are tuned for being burnt at high speeds and could misbehave in these old-slow–feeble-laser “burnbuddies”.

The only backdraw I get these days is with CDRWs. There I suspect a firmware (discontinued :frowning: ) could solve the problem. My 121032 can’t sometimes even recognize some CDRWs, whereas 241040 have no problem, also my 241040 is dying (can’t read some CDRW it just burnt, but PX40TS can :slight_smile: ) -> time for replacement.
Facing the strange problems with CDRW, I made up some assumptions: first CDRWs last someday (obviously), second: the newer the burner is, the better the support for newest CDRW is (obvious too in fact).

I don’t have a Litey (so can’t use WSES), nor do I have a Premium drive (yet), so I can not do some extensive tests on suspicious media, and I’m stuck guessing what can be (CDRW related prob).

Hope it’s not a poor hardware issue (CDR(W) drives decay too, this isn’t a CDR(W) media monopole), as PX820 is really a good drive, a little bit vintage now (to be put in a museum if it didn’t show so good behaviours with recent protections) :wink: .

MiRV

hi, I am looking for a scsi plexwriter 820 unit. please contact me 714-474-4025 or e-mail me: danny@liquidimageoc.com. it must work. Thank you
dated: 2-2-2010