Plex 708A why me?

My px708A is been broken for the second time in a year.
I can’t burn a simple DVD-R. Sometimes its ok, sometimes it doesn’t.
I searched the forom for simular broke downs, but not found.
I burn them with nero 6.3 and its written without any error or DMA problem.
Sometimes my plex doesn’t recognize the disc, but most of the time it starts without any problem, but after 1hour of video the playback has ‘hik-ups’
or stops playing.
DVD brand is Ridisc Ritek R04.
But i used those discs several times without any error.
RMA it again?

Sometimes my plex doesn’t recognize the disc, but most of the time it starts without any problem, but after 1hour of video the playback has ‘hik-ups’
or stops playing.
DVD brand is Ridisc Ritek R04.
But i used those discs several times without any error.
RMA it again?

Use better DVD MEDIA, RITEK is NOT RECOMMENDED MEDIA that Plextor supports. It’s on their COMPATIBLE BRANDS of MEDIA although just because it’s on there does not mean it will work well with the Plextor 708A. RITEK media has gone down in quality over the last few months. I suggest you use RECOMMENDED DVD-R MEDIA likeFUJI (TAIYO YUDEN), MAXELL, & TDK (TTG01), for DVD+R IMATION (RICOH) & VERBATIM.
Check Plextors website:
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_708.html

I wouldn’t RMA the drive until you try using the RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF MEDIA that Plextor supports.

The Ritek R04’s work great on my 708

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a new version of RiTEK +R´s out there.

RiTEK R04? The only RiTEK *04 I know upto date is -G04, :confused:
except for RiTEKM04

Actually it is the -R G04’s that I was referring to. I don’t know if R04 exists or not. The -R G04’s work great on my 708. The Ritek +R’s I have used are Ricoh disks, although I think there are some Ritek made ones now. The Ricoh’s burn good at 4x, but the stupid 708 firmware will burn them at 8x by default. So if you don’t pay attention and set it to 4x it doesn’t work so well towards the end of the disc. So much for “recommended” Ricoh media working well on the 708… But to be fair to Ricoh they work fine at 4x. But I’d expect Plextor to support their “recommended” media at a speed that works by default…

Ritek R04 discs do exist --> Ritek R04 = Ritek 16x DVD+R media.

Sorry for the confusion, it is Ritek G-04.
But I used them many times without error.
Ill order some new media and check it out, thats what the Plextor support told me to :cool:

Shoot2Thrill wrote:

The Ricoh’s burn good at 4x, but the stupid 708 firmware will burn them at 8x by default. So if you don’t pay attention and set it to 4x it doesn’t work so well towards the end of the disc. So much for “recommended” Ricoh media working well on the 708… But to be fair to Ricoh they work fine at 4x. But I’d expect Plextor to support their “recommended” media at a speed that works by defaul

I use RICOH discs with no problems and it does not set to 8X by default for me. What burning software are you using? Interesting that RITEK has RICOH discs. Never heard of that before. Only RICOH discs I’ve used are IMATION DVD+R. I never had any problems using them.

malinwa001 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, it is Ritek G-04.But I used them many times without error.
Ill order some new media and check it out, thats what the Plextor support told me to

Ritek quality has been crappy for the last few months. Glad you’ll be trying out new media before submitting a RMA.

Hi, at least the early Ritek 4x DVD+R’s I got were RICOHJPNR01 (I think there’s an -002 or something at the end, but I can’t remember off the top of my head). I’ve also gotten this media with TDK 4x DVD+R’s. I don’t know if either of these disks are still Ricoh, though.

Plextools shows the MAX speed for these discs is 8x. I also use DVD Decrypter, Nero, etc which show 8x as an option. The problem is they don’t burn well at 8x in my 708 so I have to rememeber to set the speed to 4x rather than max :wink:

Wouldn’t it be cool if Plextools would let you set a custom speed for a particular media? I mean override the firmware default burn speeds. Probably not really possible and hopefully not needed with the new 716’s auto strategy

Mine too!!

For those who tought it were bad discs, wrong. A friend of my burned on the same discs from the same spindel and had no errors while reading.
He burned 3discs on a nec2500 and 2 on a pioneer 108. So I think i have a bad writer :sad: , time to RMA it :slight_smile: