Plenty Of Rings!

vbimport

Well, I have an Artec 32x recorder... When I try to burn "low quality" disc (especially Pro Disc's NoNames, which are certified 32x!!) the cd comes out with several rings (like Laser Lock) printed in it... Sometimes the ring occure where the recording speed is altered and becomes higher (aproximatelly) but not always. The cd works just fine! It has no problems at all...
This doesn't happens with other brands where the cd is recorded smoothly. The same "problem" has and a friend of mine with a Plextor 40x burner. Can anyone explain this????

This is probably because the writers use the Z-CLV technology, an explanation can be found here

Yes, I know that my Artec writes is Z-CLV mode… But that doesn’t changes (I think) the power of the beam so that it can perform circles in the cd (or does it?).

Of course it does!

This is BTW the really hard thing when implementing CAV-writing: The laser power must be changed continuously with the write speed.

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]Of course it does!

This is BTW the really hard thing when implementing CAV-writing: The laser power must be changed continuously with the write speed. [/B]

Is there any way to change the writing mode from Z-CLV to CAV???

For some burners it is possible, by downloading latest official firmware (or a “hacked” one).

Since it is a 32x I wouldn’t bet its possible…
But I do not know who makes Artec so I can’t swear it will be impossible…

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]For some burners it is possible, by downloading latest official firmware (or a “hacked” one).

Since it is a 32x I wouldn’t bet its possible…
But I do not know who makes Artec so I can’t swear it will be impossible… [/B]

Well my Artec is manufactured by Ricoh… When you’re saying a “hacked” firmware what do you mean?