Please recommend an IDE/PATA DVD Writer

vbimport

Subject says it all - can you please recommend a reliable internal PATA DVD writer preferably with an NEC chipset? Prefer to buy online (newegg, amazon, zipzoomfly, …) or at Frys or BestBuy.

Thanks very much and happy holidays

You’ll have to look on eBay. No one sells PATA burners with NEC chipsets anymore. They’re all discontinued. Try finding a Pioneer DVR-115D or an Optiarc AD-7200A (or one of their equivalents).

[QUOTE=negritude;2485966]You’ll have to look on eBay. No one sells PATA burners with NEC chipsets anymore. They’re all discontinued. Try finding a Pioneer DVR-115D or an Optiarc AD-7200A (or one of their equivalents).[/QUOTE]
Interesting! Do you know if the AD 7201 /AD 7203 also use the NEC chipsets? Also The Pioneer 116D / 116DBK ? Thanks

AD7201 = AD7200 + Lightscribe
AD7203 = AD7200 + Labelflash

Michael

Ic, thank you.

It’s probably a bit late to reply since the thread starter probably already has bought a DVD burner, but I would like to throw my t’uppence in anyway :slight_smile:

The best writer, IMHO, is a BenQ or a Phillips writer. My current writer is a Phillips which I salvaged from a damaged Packard Bell iMedia 1308 (produced sometime around 2005) and good lord, it’s like a super burner! It hasn’t once yet rejected or failed any discs I’ve thrown at it since my mass burning spree starting last year.

Fake TY discs, CMC MAG AM3, Ritek F1, RitekG05 - All burned wonderfully on that burner. I was actually pleasently surprised it still read back a Princo 4x disc burned by a friend sometime in 2003 :eek:

Based on that experience - It would have to be a Phillips or BenQ writer. But please for the love of mercy - Stay away from Pioneer! I know it’s supposed they are supposed to be good, but I’ve had nothing but erratic burning results and wasted many discs.

In fairness, it was second hand and pulled from a computer sometime in 2004 I believe who used to be mass burners. I always used 16x media, and probably since the firmware hasn’t being upgraded, that was probably my fault.

Actually based on that nightmarish experience alone; I’ve stayed away from CMC media, but I reckon on the BenQ / Phillips burner, is the best IMO. Or maybe a Samsung, because their cheap :wink:

No way. the Pioneer burners range up to 117/217 is just excellent, absolutely contrary to what you posted!

In my experience, I have to beg to differ :eek: That burner was just a godawful nightmare for me, but it was an old burner which probably wasn’t too tolerant of the CMC AM3 16x media I threw at it :doh:

Phillips has been the best burner I’ve ever had, IMO.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2593206]Phillips has been the best burner I’ve ever had, IMO.[/QUOTE]Hm. You are aware that Philips did not produce DVD writers themselves (perhaps apart from the very first ones)?
They simply slapped their logo on units made by Benq, Liteon or TSST. And they had custom firmwares that lacked features of the original drives.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2593216]Hm. You are aware that Philips did not produce DVD writers themselves (perhaps apart from the very first ones)?
They simply slapped their logo on units made by Benq, Liteon or TSST. And they had custom firmwares that lacked features of the original drives.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I didn’t know that, no :doh:

I’m looking at the drive now, there doesn’t seem to be any distinguishable features other than NEC - Which I presume was the original manufacturer?

Philips once created good cd burners, teamed up with HP, went into the dvd biz just with rebadges and got more and more out of shape… So they left that biz.

Ahh, I see. Mine must have been a NEC rebadge then. Still, NEC are apparently good burners, they are the same manufacturers as Sony / LiteOn? or are they an independent company?

NEC teamed up with Sony and they call themself Optiarc since a while now.
They made good burners in the recent past, right.

NEC is out of business and Optiarc is 100% pwned by Sony:

Changed company name to Sony Optiarc Inc., as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony group

(http://www.sony-optiarc.com/)

Michael

I didn’t know that; Thanks :slight_smile: