Please recommend a better cd player than Windows Media Player

Hi Experts.

In older Media Player editions, it was possible to have under ‘Music’ all previously ripped tracks listed alphabetically by the name entered when ripped.

By clicking ‘Music’ I could easily find artist, song or cd track grouping depending how I named them when rippping.

Can’t do this in Media Player 11 and I dont like its format or Nero.

I want to transfer about 100 hrs of tracks to another old computer ( XP SP2 base ) which will be used exclusively for music / photo.

I want to be able to list / index music tracks for easy access.

• Can experts advise alternative software download that will meet my needs and simple to use. I dont burn videos.

Parpi

I used to worry how to invest my savings for old age.
Now I’m old and thanks to my brokers advice, I’ve got nothing left to worry about. :eek:

Try looking at J. River Media Center (Shareware) or J. River Media Jukebox (Freeware). The Jukebox only handles audio files while the Center also handles pictures and videos.

For music only I’ve always been a big fan of MediaMonkey. Basic functionality is free (last I checked), although you have to pay to use some of the more advanced features.

Thanks guys.

Both players appear to offer features over MP11.

I know there are many on offer - all promoting their virtues but getting advice from long term user of a program is best test of all.

DrageMester :
the address you included is correct but when I click on download get a box saying ’ Index of ftp etc. ’ Up to higher level ’ click on
’ Up to higher level ’ and get similar note again. No download.
Wikipedia indicates J River Media Juke Box is superceded. Not sure if new one has same features and free.

[quote=parpi;2212793]DrageMester :
the address you included is correct but when I click on download get a box saying ’ Index of ftp etc. ’ Up to higher level ’ click on
’ Up to higher level ’ and get similar note again. No download.
Wikipedia indicates J River Media Juke Box is superceded. Not sure if new one has same features and free.[/quote] I just downloaded J. River Media Jukebox 12 from the big download link on this page. :confused:

Here’s a direct download link: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MJ12/MediaJukebox12.exe

J. River Media Jukebox is not superseded, it’s the free version of J. River Media Center with less functionality (e.g. no support for pictures or video). There might be some confusion over the name, since the old J. River Media Jukebox was renamed to J. River Media Center when they added more functionality, and then at some point they released a free version of the new product under the old name.

The Wikipedia article on J. River Media Jukebox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Jukebox

BTW I’m using an older version of J. River Media Center at home as my main player. I haven’t bothered upgrading yet.

Hi DragMester,

Thanks for your effort and patience.

Parpi

In Media Player 11, click ‘Library / All Music’, click ‘options’ and choose from a range of columns. I want album, artist, song, length.

Later, I may need tracks to make a composite cd eg all piano, relaxing or bright music. After I have ripped a few cds, click ‘Library / All Music’ –

I want to find the cds by looking at ‘album’ (or other nominated prime column) listed alphabetically.

If I nominate ‘artist’ or ‘song’ as listing column,I want to see ‘Tony Bennett’ or ‘Smile” listed alphabetically and all his tracks or renditions of ‘Smile’ that I have ever ripped.

In Media Player 11, if I rip 3 cds then click ‘Library / All Music’ it lists all tracks mixed up.

If I click ‘Albums’ I have to open each album to see which artists or songs are in that album. With over 100 hours of tracks it’s time consuming to search, transfer and make up a cd of a particular type.

I supply music as a free service to retirement homes, hospices, elderly, sight impaired and for personal enjoyment. Use second hand cds / ITunes.

Get many requests for music rarely heard on radio TV. Might have to make up a sing-along, blues, classical, church, stage or movies of a certain vintage or a persons birthdate in 1920’s to 70’s era.

Media Juke Box plus others come recommended but having downloaded, I can’t see an option to organise as outlined above. As a computer dummy I may be wrong and welcome expert

In J. River Media Jukebox/Center you can use the search function to find stuff based on tags, or even better create “Smart Lists” that automatically show you the result of such searches.

You will have to add appropriate tags to all of you music, however - there’s no way any lf the current programs will know what tracks are “piano music” unless you use some tags to attach that information to a track.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2214456]In J. River Media Jukebox/Center you can use the search function to find stuff based on tags, or even better create “Smart Lists” that automatically show you the result of such searches.

You will have to add appropriate tags to all of you music, however - there’s no way any lf the current programs will know what tracks are “piano music” unless you use some tags to attach that information to a track.[/QUOTE]

Hi DrageMester,

Tried to do what I think you’re suggesting but no success -

The old house is still standing but a few rooms at the top may be empty.

I have used WMP 6 and 9 for years without problem.
Constantly received a windows update message. Thought it might be a security patch ( had problems in that departmement ) so clicked ok and got WMP 11. What a curse !

Tried to reload WMP 9 but windows won’t permit regress from 11.
I could uninstall WMP 11 and then try to download 9 but will lose current music contents. Typical MS bully tactics. :confused:

I am not alone. There is much net complaint about WMP 11 and others have encountered my problem but no answer that I easily understand.

**How to make XPSP3 Pro Media Player 11 list items in a selected
column alphabetically ? Especially in ‘Library / All Music’

Parpi

I probably know a lot about something. Just can’t remember what it is. :doh: