Please rank these four DVD+R types

So I’m having a lot of trouble finding “good” DVD+R discs in my area. Can anyone rank these four types that I know I can get, or at least tell me if any of them shoud be purhased or avoided?

1. Verbatim DVD+R 4X (Made in Singapore)
  2. TDK DVD+R 4X (Made in Taiwan)
  3. Maxell DVD+R 4X (Made in Taiwan)
  4. FujiFilm DVD+R 4X (Made in Taiwan)

I can’t find any Fuji or Maxell DVD+R that are made in Japan. :sad:

I would rate the Verbatim/MCC Singapore as the best, and the others equal second. TDK/Maxell/Fujifilm +Rs are all Made by RiTEK using Ricoh dye.

#'s 2-4 are likely all the same Ricoh media.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
I would rate the Verbatim/MCC Singapore as the best, and the others equal second. TDK/Maxell/Fujifilm +Rs are all Made by RiTEK using Ricoh dye.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
#'s 2-4 are likely all the same Ricoh media.

Thank you both very much for your feedback! I will certainly put it to good use!

Would you consider #2-4 to actually be things to avoid? Or are they still decent, but just not as good as #1?

It depends on your drive, some of them prefer one, some prefer the other.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It depends on your drive, some of them prefer one, some prefer the other.

I have a plextor 708A. Does that tell you anything about which would be best for me?

Both should work fine. MCC and RiTEK/Ricoh are well respected manufacturers.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
Both should work fine. MCC and RiTEK/Ricoh are well respected manufacturers.

What does MCC stand for?

MCC–Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation

Verbatim is their brand, though not all Verbatim dvd’s have the MCC id. Some are made by CMC Magnetics in Taiwan, and some are made in India by Moser Baer, and I believe there are a few made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden though they seem to be hard to find in the US. The ones made in Singapore are good quality.

A small correction - MCC is Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (without the “s”). :slight_smile:

There are two types of TDK 4x DVD+R that I have come across:

Ricoh which has a smooth surface
CMC which has a rough surface

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
I have a plextor 708A. Does that tell you anything about which would be best for me?

I also have a Plextor 708A firmware 1.06.

I have found that, for whatever reason, my Plextor likes the DVD+R 4x certified media sold under the Maxell brand far better than the TDK, Memorex or SONY branded DVD+R 4x that all carry the very same media code.

I have a buddy across town with a Lite On and his burner likes the Maxell sold RICOH DVD+R 4x media much better than the Memorex or TDK.

I have also used the Verbatim DVD+R 4x certified media made in Singapore with great results in my Plextor. I use either the Maxell or Verbatim.

In an NEC 1300 using NEC 1.05-1.1a fw, and Verbatum, TY and approx 70 Ritek G04 dvdr’s (ALL +r’s - I do not use -r), I have had no problems at all. All pass a test using scandisk (all green) and play fine. I do not have a lite-on so K-Probe tests are pointless to me.