Please Olli, gimme a good reason to

vbimport

…continue using CloneDVD (apart the fact that I paied for it and don’t want to waste). I think that it is a wonderful program, the quality is very good, it’s fast and pretty reliable. I am using the latest version with Anydvd (also latest v.) associated.
I’ve tried many other programs, but none seemed to be better.
NOW, please, I have tried DVDShrink 3 beta 5 and I am astonished!!
Assuming that the fact of being forced to burn the compressed files with Nero doesn’t bother me at all, I must say honestly that this program is astonishing. It is only a few KB, it is an .exe file and you don’t install it, it lets you keep control on compression ratio, on what to keep (menu, extra), it yields a SUPERB quality (personal opinion but honest when you consider that I always tended to have a tremendous bias in favour of clonedvd), and it seems to compress less than clone (clone said that “saving private ryan”'s quality would have gone to 48% while Shrink 50%), you don’t need anydvd and, last but not least, it’s free.
NOW please, tell me a good reason to stay with clone. Not to be polemic, but I would like to understand…
Thank you in advance

mario

What should I say…

Well, elby CloneDVD 2 (a beta should be available soon) will have some really cool features Shrink doesn’t have, and the transcoder will have a very much improved picture quality.

I personally like CloneDVDs UI much more than anything else.

But hey - it is really hard to compete “value for money-wise” with something that is free.

…you answered! Don’t misunderstand me. I am glad to pay for something that it’s worth it. Moreover I am happy with clone. Was just wondering why shrink can do almost the same things in just few Kb, it’s not installed, returns superior quality while clone needs few MB plus few KB from anydvd. But I’m not a programmer and probably I am arising stupid issues. That’s all. I am sure clone v.2 will definitely impose itself against all competitors.
Thnak you and keep on the great job.

PS Instant CD/DVD, 321 Studios, CloneDVD (the fake one) and so on, they all have already deserved the right folder on my HD: the recycle bin!

bye

elby CloneDVD 2 (a beta should be available soon)

That sounds interesting.
More Infos please - when? features? what? why? why not? :bigsmile:

Jarod

Okay, here are your answers:

> Was just wondering why shrink can do almost the same things in just few Kb,<

CloneDVD uses QT from http://www.trolltech.com

QT is great, but it is big, because it almost contains a complete OS (at least the UI compontents of an OS).

Why use QT you might ask?
Well, it is cool! :slight_smile: And it allows you to easily port an application to another operating system in almost no time.
Hello, all you Mac users! CloneDVD 2 will run on MacOS X.

> it’s not installed,<

DVDShrink doesn’t have any drivers. CloneDVD comes with ElbyCDIO, the “all-singing-and-dancing” ASPI replacement, allowing you to read & burn without being an administrator.
Drivers should be installed by an installation routine.

> returns superior quality <

Not for much longer! :slight_smile:

> while clone needs few MB plus few KB from anydvd. <

AnyDVD is a standalone application allowing you 100times more things than Shrink. Like sharing a CSS protected DVD in a local network.
Watching an Original disc but removing prohibited user operations while doing this! Removing Macrovision on the fly. Watching DVDs on your Home Theater PC which have the wrong Region Code. Listening to copy protected Audio CDs. Setting the correct Display frequency depending on the video material. …

> But I’m not a programmer and probably I am arising stupid issues. That’s all. I am sure clone v.2 will definitely impose itself against all competitors.<

I surely hope so.
But again, it is really hard to compete against something, that is free (Shrink) or “semi-free” (Recode2).

> PS Instant CD/DVD, 321 Studios, CloneDVD (the fake one) and so on, they all have already deserved the right folder on my HD: the recycle bin!<

:wink:

Hi Jarod,

> That sounds interesting.
More Infos please <

You know - I hate to talk about software that isn’t finished. There already is so much bloatware … :slight_smile:

> - when? <

This is the most difficult question.
Jumping a major version number does rise certain expectations, and we have some well defined goals for Version 2.

A lot of these features are ready, some are not. Time is slipping away, and we face some hard decisions, like:

1.) - Shall we release V2 with the available features and put the missing stuff in a later release or not?

2.) - Or shall we release a V2 preview with some of the planned features missing as a public beta?

My vote goes for 2.) as elby has a big retail market in department stores, and these “no download” customers get easily confused by frequent major version changes.

But whatever is decided, we never ever give any release dates. It will be released when it is ripe and ready.

> features? what? why? why not? <

The major difference is a new transcoder. It is a only little bit slower than the current one, but has really amazing quality. It is already working very stable.
Already finished as well is a huge difference for the user: A new Compress-O-Meter, which exactly shows the impact on video quality by leaving out Audio and Subtitle tracks.
This is so cool!

Planned for V2, but not finished yet:

• MacOS X port
  • Splitting of movies on multiple DVDRs
  • Leaving out chapters at beginning and end of titles
  • Output size can be defined by the user
  • Some things I forgot.

Some things I forgot.

Must be a very nice feature. :wink:

I understand the problem with a release date, an answer like “within the next 4 weeks” or “not within the next 4 weeks” would be enough, if that´s possible. Baaad costumers - they´re always sooo curious. :wink:

• Splitting of movies on multiple DVDRs

Personally, I hate to change a dvd while watching a movie, is this really a so much wanted feature? Can´t believe it…

Jarod

Hi Jarod,

> Some things I forgot.

Must be a very nice feature. :wink:
<

Yes, all those tiny little bits like “away with the layer break”, etc.

> I understand the problem with a release date, an answer like “within the next 4 weeks” or “not within the next 4 weeks” would be enough, if that´s possible. Baaad costumers - they´re always sooo curious. :wink:
<

No, telling release date is something like a “bad omen”: It never works out, something always goes wrong… :slight_smile:

> - Splitting of movies on multiple DVDRs

Personally, I hate to change a dvd while watching a movie, is this really a so much wanted feature? Can´t believe it…<

I want it, that must be reason enough! :slight_smile:

Seriously - I agree with your opinion, but there are a few very long movies where splitting does make sense.
Or a few “all time favourites” where you don’t want nothing less than 100% quality.

Another benefit of CloneDVD is the fact that you don’t need to do a Deep Analysis before transcoding to get the same quality. Not doing the Deep Analysis could leave you with an end result that is too big to fit on a DVD-5. I’ve had this a few times.

The Shrink Compression Ratio and the CloneDVD Compress-o-meter show different things. Shrink shows compression where CloneDVD shows Quality. This might help explain it better.

I prefer CloneDVD as a general rule, but there are some times when Shrink has its place. The only one I can think of now, that hasn’t already been discussed is joining of parts of a film onto a single DVD. Now if CloneDVD V3 could join 2 parts onto a single DVD-5 and renumber the chapters accordingly… [Sorry Olli].

> Now if CloneDVD V3 could join 2 parts onto a single DVD-5 and renumber the chapters accordingly… [Sorry Olli].<

Nothing to be sorry about, this is already on the V3 feature list.

CloneDVD uses QT from http://www.trolltech.com

How about a Linux port? Please :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dewd2
How about a Linux port? Please :slight_smile:

Ah, someone looked it up! :slight_smile:

Yes, we re thinking about a linux port, but this is not as trivial as we thought.

The port is not so much of a problem, but the distribution (which is going to be binary only, no sourcecode) probably is.

And the biggest question: Who would buy it? I mean - pay money for such a port?

And the biggest question: Who would buy it? I mean - pay money for such a port?

I would. I bet others would as well. Take a look a the DVD::RIP mailing list archives and you will see many requests for the author to add DVD-DVDR functions to his program.

Originally posted by dewd2
I would. I bet others would as well. Take a look a the DVD::RIP mailing list archives and you will see many requests for the author to add DVD-DVDR functions to his program.

Hmm, if I haven’t misunderstood something is DVD::RIP open source free software, right?

I don’t see, why people asking for a feature in free software would buy a commercial product which has this feature.

I don’t see, why people asking for a feature in free software would buy a commercial product which has this feature.

First because it is not complete. There is currently no option to do DVD to DVDR in Linux (short of some Perl scripts).

Second, it is not a ‘one step’ solution. Sort of like having the option to use the free Shrink program or pay for CloneDVD. They both do the same job but CloneDVD does it easier .

Third, why do folks purchase MainActor for Linux when Cinerrella is free? They also do the same thing but MainActor still succeeds. Again, my belief is that MainActor is just easier.

Again, it would be really cool to have this program for Linux. I think it is at least worth a try. As for the binaries, there are others who distribute their programs this way (MainActor, Sun Office, etc). PM me if you want to discuss this offline - I’d be happy to offer assistance with anything I can.

I would pay for a Linux version, no question about it. The windows version is excellent, a Linux version would be wonderful.

Thanks for the work so far Olli

Regards

Andy

–>“And the biggest question: Who would buy it? I mean - pay money for such a port?”

@Olli:
This is a problem for not one but many reasons. The fact is I am an avid *nix user. the only reason I have Windows installed is for burning cds’ and dvds’ ( and for certain management GUI’s like FW-1’s admin GUI which only runs on windows). So why would I sceptical to a Linux port?

Firstly; there are simply to many dialects of *nix. For example I don’t run Linux however I do run FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD as well as Solaris. This means that even if *nix had 50% of the workstation market, which it doesn’t, the amount of users are spread over alot of dissimilar OS’s. Ok Linux might acount for 80% of the workstation users but that is still a 20% potential market share that gets lost unless a port is made for each of the different systems. While Linux and Solaris are quite similar they do have differences. In the BSD OS’s these differences are even more pronounced. However this is not the most serious hurdle as for example RAR as well as Communigate do an excelent job of supporing many platforms and still making money (at least I think they do).

Secondly you have what is probably a bigger hurdle. Most *nix users are “advanced” users and are not always interested in the prettiest GUI or the least amount of “clicks” to complete a task. In fact many prefer scripting tasks and avoiding the GUI all together. However CloneDVD would have the advantage that dvd copying is made much easier with a GUI compared to scripting. Even the most die-hard scripters like me will admit that ;). It simply is a visual task.

Third you have the fact that keeping things secret, with regards to copy protections, is much more of a problem in *nix as the whole concept of a OS like linux is open code which can be easily modified. Also you have to contend with the fact that *nix users tend to be more tech savvy. However on the other hand the “warez” and “cracks” scene on *nix is tiny if it even exists. However it is possible to protect software on *nix as well. Simply take a look at software like FW-1.

Last, and probably most important, is the fact that like you said there are tons of tools that can do the job of CloneDVD for free on the *nix platforms. However what you have in your favor is the fact that there are none (to my knowledge) that do it all and do it as good as CloneDVD+AnyDVD combo. I for one own a couple of commercial *nix applications (Opera, RAR to name two) and would gladly buy more to fill certain needs like cd/dvd copying (like CloneDVD, AnyDVD and CloneCD) as well as browsing and compression. Why do you ask? Well in the two programs above for two simple reasons. They are the best at what they do and they consist of a single “bundle” or application.

Well that was long. Anyhow just some of my thoughts on the subject. Would I buy it for Linux… hmm in all honesty…no. I would wait for the FreeBSD port :]!!!

// swede_242

Hi Olli, this fact about a possible port to linux is really cool… :o :o :o :o

Just a little remark… open source and free software are not the same…
You surely know the difference, but some other people could get confused about that… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by Olli
Hmm, if I haven’t misunderstood something is DVD::RIP open source free software, right?

Hello Olly,

I just recently bought an official license for CloneDVD…I love the program very much…The quality of the copies is good, but if it still can be better then offcourse please better…and i bought a anydvd license too.!! These two programs are working perfect with each other!
I hope the new Clonedvd v 2 will be realeased as it is ready and the only question i have is:
Will people like me that bought a license for it just a couple of weeks back get the opportunity to upgrade with our lisence key to the new version?

Thnx and success with the program; keep up the good Work!!

Ryan.:wink:

> Will people like me that bought a license for it just a couple of weeks back get the opportunity to upgrade with our lisence key to the new version? <

Good news (which are not really new, because elby had a very customer friendly update policy in the past as well):

The update will be free to anyone, who has bought CloneDVD.