Please help with my rig

vbimport

I have a couple questions about my current rig and how to put everything to its best use. Please don’t let the length of my post scare you. I think I’ve just asked a bunch of simple questions in a very meticulously-worded fashion, that’s all.

I currently have these drives:

Sony DRU-810A @ BenQ DW1640 BSLB - thank you to all that helped and provided guides for crossflashing:bow:
Pioneer DVR-111D - this one’s getting some Buffalo action as soon as it arrives
Liteon SOHD-16P9SV

Questions:

1. I read in a couple of threads that my particular Liteon ROM drive is a good reader. Problem is, I find it’s slow as molasses compared to my speed-patched DW1640. Plus, there’s a handful of audio CDs that the Litey wouldn’t rip very well but the BenQ would. I was thinking of selling the Litey; is it worth keeping? Are either of my other drives as good of a reader or better? Or, going even further, is there a Litey burner that trumps all in terms of reading/ripping/salvaging? I want the best of the best.

2. By the looks of some the great scans I’ve been seeing on the forums, the DVR-111 is going to be hands down my Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL MKM001 burner. So, what’s the general consensus on which speed to use, if I want to use one of the “faster” ones? 6x or 8x? I could burn some for fun and do some scans, but with the price of these discs, I’d rather take your word for it. :wink:

Lastly,

1. Which burner for TY CD-R? My BenQ, my Pio or the Litey that you’re gonna recommend me from question #1? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, I’ll summarize it so it’s short and sweet. =]

How good of a reader is the Pio DVR-111 when it comes to pressed DVDs as well as old/scratched media? Should I use it as my reader? If not the Pio, I was thinking about the LH-20A1S when it comes out, but I’ve been getting the impression the newer Litey drives aren’t so great for reading. If neither the Pio nor the 20A1S, please recommend me a good reader. If possible, a SATA.

Well you will have them all right there. Tell us how it goes when you get the Pio. Then order the 20A1S and let us know how it goes. I’d be interested.

Well I do have the BenQ DW1640 here and the Pio will be arriving tomorrow (if the courier service cooperates). But my 16P9SV ROM drive isn’t hooked up and isn’t even in this city anymore, and I don’t have the extra cash laying around to buy random drives and see how they go. I’ve concluded the DW1640 isn’t great for it, but with nothing to test the Pio against, my results would be a little inconclusive to say the least.

I know there’s a lot of Lite-on fans here and I figured some might have some of that information readily available. Hopefully I can get some feedback on that so I can make an informed purchase. And if I make an informed purchase, I can help others make informed purchases, etc… Hopefully everybody benefits =]

With that said, I know the 20A1S isn’t out yet. So general consensus on later Litey drives and/or SATA drives is all I really want.

I can tell you my experiences with a LH-18A1P and (2) LH-20A1P’s. The last 20A1P has been ok but nothing special. I like the tools you can get for Liteys. All i have is PATA drives so no SATA help from me sorry.

Hey, I appreciate any info I can get. Thanks.

This supports the comments I read about the newer Litey drives not being anything special. Now I’ll just wait and see if anybody else has any recommendations because, ultimately, I’m open to anybody who has an opinion on this.