Please help w/ new HP disc printer

vbimport

Hello all, I’ve found plenty of answers here and this is the first I’ve resorted to asking because I can’t find the answer already here.

I recently bought an HP D5460 for the sole reason of printing on my discs. For my more important burns I had been using the lightscribe color 1.2 discs, which were OK, but this printer is a world better. I am very happy with what it is doing with one caveat: I can not seem to find a way to make it print on DVDs that have the printable material right up to the spindle hole, I think they are 18-20mm center hole discs. I am getting wonderful results with CDs or other standard 36-40mm printable center area.

The software that came w/ the printer is worthless and although the system sometime gets annoying, popping up pointless printer info, it still allows me to use other means. I am currently using Nero CoverDesigner because it’s working in every other regard for my purposes. I am using the “HP print on CD/DVD 120” setting. Unfortunately it is the only setting that will allow proper printing and is set for the 36-40mm center hole with no means to adjust it. I’d be content if only I could find a template that would allow me to print without leaving a huge unprinted ring on particular discs.

Sorry if this is confusing, not sure on my jargon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Nero is widely considered to be one of the worst for disc printing. SureThing is reported to be fully supporting the HP models, and it should allow you to create templates for hub-printable or at least adjust the sizes.

There are one or 2 others around that work too.

Thanks, I’ve got Surething, I used it for LS sometimes. I’ll give it a go. Generally I’m not real fond of it as it’s pretty basic and clunky, but anything for these particular DVDs would be great.

My fave, Acoustica supports D5460
Free trial:
http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/

Thanks, I’ve got acoustica somewhere. I think my time ran out or something. I’ll try to figure that one out also. I did get a decent job out of Surething, so thanks for the input on that also. Just something about Surething I don’t like, but like I said anything that works at this point is great.

[QUOTE=rrpostal;2135880]Thanks, I’ve got acoustica somewhere. I think my time ran out or something. I’ll try to figure that one out also. I did get a decent job out of Surething, so thanks for the input on that also. Just something about Surething I don’t like, but like I said anything that works at this point is great.[/QUOTE]

I invested a lot of time on Acoustica to learn and justify to myself that I should purchase such software, and in some way I would only do this with the best I could find and use (most important).

Just remove the blue stickers from the HP D5460 today, the machine is a little bit nasty, even to power-off, it takes a ton of mechanical movement.

To change the whole template, change the inner circle diameter, overal position (you will need to calibrate anyway), just go to FILE menu on Acoustica, select EDIT PAPER / PRINTER TEMPLATES, select the Template Name [HP Photosmart D5460 full-faced printable CD/DVD], reduce (down) the Hole DIameter (mm) to 24, Disk diameter keep 116. To center the printout I needed to change the Move To The Right = 0.30 and Move To UP = 3.10.

That set the printout fantastic centered and just a little thin white ring around the hole without printing (over the printable white are, of course).

Ah, I needed to download an update from Acoustica, so the HP D5460 would appeat at the printer selection.

===

I also have LightScribe burner and disks, but let me tell you… printable media is another animal. I will continue to use LightScribe, since it has its own personality, mostly because you can wash the disk with water and soap without any risk of printout blurring.

I will be purchasing the Acoustica during the next days.

No software is good enough to cover all wishes, so I do a lot of previous work on CorelDraw and PhotoPaint before pushing the image file to the Acoustica, mostly related to curved, bent, special text and formats impossible to do directly under Acoustica.

Now, lets say the truth, the software that comes along with the HP D5460, what is that? HP is losing its mind? What a waste of time and material. Why don’t they just made an agreement with Acoustica and supplied one of the best solutions?

See, Lite-On and other DVD Burner manufacturer, go with NERO and that’s it, works and works nicely. Why HP tried to produced their own label software? they know nothing about it.

Cheers,

wagnerlip