Please Help: Seeking CVT Firmware for Philips DVDR1648P1

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVDR1628 / DVDR1648. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I crossflashed my Philips DVDR1648P1 drive to Benq DW1640 and now I have a slew of problems. The Device Manager identifies the drive as Device type: Unknown and I get weird problems when I try to burn discs.

I want to reflash the drive back to its original firmware but I can only find exe firmwares for Philips DVDR1648P1 and BQFlasher refuses to recognize the drive so I cannot use exe firmwares. (WinDWFlash does recognize it so I can use CVT firmwares.)

So if anyone has CVT firmware for Philips DVDR1648P1 I would appreciate it. Version doesn’t matter. Even v1.2 is OK because I can then reflash to v2.4 using official firmware update. Thanks.

Check your PM.

[QUOTE=transitionality;2121802]I crossflashed my Philips DVDR1648P1 drive to Benq DW1640 and now I have a slew of problems. The Device Manager identifies the drive as Device type: Unknown and I get weird problems when I try to burn discs.[/QUOTE]

Something doesn’t sound right. Which version of the DW1640 firmware did you flash? Did you close all programs before flashing? Are you using the latest version of BQFlasher? Did you get a flash completed dialogue box after flashing? Did you reboot immediately after flashing? Is the drive installed internally or in an enclosure? If internally, are you using an 80-wire IDE cable? Is the drive your primary (master) or secondary (slave)?

Something doesn’t sound right. Which version of the DW1640 firmware did you flash?

BSGB first, then BSLB, rebooting between each flash.

Did you close all programs before flashing?

Flashed in safe mode without any programs running.

Are you using the latest version of BQFlasher?

Tried BQFlasher 0.7.2 but it did not see the drive. So I had to use WinDWFlash.

Did you get a flash completed dialogue box after flashing? Did you reboot immediately after flashing?

Yes and yes.

Is the drive installed internally or in an enclosure? If internally, are you using an 80-wire IDE cable? Is the drive your primary (master) or secondary (slave)?

Internal, 80-pin cable, secondary slave. I guess changing the cable and the port couldn’t hurt. I will try that and post back. I am open to any other ideas and suggestions as well. Thanks.

1. Flash to BSRB. BSGB was definitely way too old, and may have been the start of your problems. You should never flash anything older than BSLB, and I prefer people start with BSRB, and then go back to an earlier firmware if they don’t like it.

2. Definitely make the drive into the primary (master) if you’re going to flash. I’ve heard of all sorts of problems occurring when people try to do firmware upgrades of secondary (slave) drives. That may also be why BQFlasher couldn’t see it.

3. Another reason BQFlasher may not work is that you don’t have a locatable ASPI file. Be sure to download WNASPI32.DLL and place it in the same folder as BQFlasher:

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll

or

http://www.frogaspi.org/download/wnaspi32.dll