I got a Lite-On LDW-811S (rebadged as Norcent DWD840) with lateste flash HS0R, this is an IDE drive and I was using as such few years back without any problem (for copying both CD & DVD), it stayed in storage for over a year and now I got a laptop and tried to use it as external USB drive, I’m using Nero 220.127.116.11 Ultra software with my laptop with Windows XP SP2 and I tried a couple of things:
- tried unsuccessfully burn DVD+R, and it stopped at around 17% and the red light became yellow and the drive just stuck there forever, Nero at that point was just not responsive and I had to end its process through Window’s task manager.
- I tried to simulate a burn (I used 4X but it failed at ~50%, then I reduced to 2X and it worked) for small files (less than 1G), it went smoothly, but when I have a disc almost full (~4.3G), it got stuck at ~17% again, so I thought maybe my Windows was screwed up, so I reinstalled Windows, but then the problem continues the same.
Can someone please tell me:
- why you can only simulate burn with DVD-R and not DVD+R?
- is it possible to burn DVD through USB 2.0 port using IDE drive? (I got the USB-IDE cable from a store and it’s not a brand name, but I did use it to backup my files to a small IDE hd without a problem). I’ve wasted a bunch of DVDs already and still have no clue if this is a hardware or software problem, does anyone has a suggestion how to confirm if it’s hardware/software problem or a tweak to make it work?
This is my environment/hardware:
- 1 year old Chinese brand laptop (English Windows XP SP2, 512MB RAM)
- Nero 18.104.22.168 Ultra with LDW-811S IDE burner flashed to HS0R
- no brand DVD+R discs
- burning video files (RMVB, AVI, etc.)
Thanks in advance