Please help me sort out my dvd writing

vbimport

Hi all, complete noob here. Just a couple of questions…

I have a Dell Dimension 9100, which originally came with what Dell describe as a “Philips DVD8631 16X DVD+/-RW”. Last year I cross-flashed the drive so it’s now a Benq DW1640 running the latest BSRB firmware.

Q1: Does this mean it’s the same as an original DW1640?

The PC currently has the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW on the same IDE channel (master and slave on same cable). As far as i can tell this makes it slow for on-the-fly copying.

As the PC only has one IDE channel I’m thinking of buying a SATA writer and using that as a writer, and using the DW1640 as a reader, so they’re on different channels.

Q2: Is this a good idea, and what SATA writers would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

[QUOTE=garmcqui;1999862]Hi all, complete noob here. Just a couple of questions…

I have a Dell Dimension 9100, which originally came with what Dell describe as a “[B]Philips DVD8631[/B] 16X DVD+/-RW”. Last year I cross-flashed the drive so it’s now a [B]Benq DW1640[/B] running the latest [B]BSRB[/B] firmware.

Q1: Does this mean it’s the same as an original DW1640?[/quote]
There is a good chance it is, but it isn’t sure if the same hardware components were used.

Q2: Is this a good idea?
Personally i don’t like on-the-fly backups anyway, since it has a high chance of writing errors if the reader has lots of reading errors.

thanks for reply,

So you would always stage to the hard drive first when copying cd/dvd’s? Doesn’t this make it very slow overall?

Is it true that a writer like the DW1640 will be much better at rearing than an ordinary DVD-ROM?

[QUOTE=garmcqui;1999870]thanks for reply,

So you would always stage to the hard drive first when copying cd/dvd’s? Doesn’t this make it very slow overall?[/quote] Yes, but very trustworthy.

Is it true that a writer like the DW1640 will be much better at rearing than an ordinary DVD-ROM?
Usually a writer can read data better than just a reader.

right, I see.

Ok then, I may just stick with the DW1640 for now then.

Are there any media that are particularly good with this drive?