Please help me rip 10,000 audio cds

Please help me, I don’t know what to buy.
I want to rip my huge audio cd collection; and I don’t want to have to insert each disk manually.
I have read about the PowerFile which sells for $900, this is what I need but seems expensive.

I have heard of CD organizers which are cheap, but they do not have CD players in them, they are merely intelligent filing cabinets which you have to inform the software of where each CD is.

I want to be able to load a carousel or cartridge with 50, 75, or 100 CDs, I don’t care exactly how many, but some decent stack of CDs, and have them be systematically be ripped to my PC.

Hey I did 600 X 3 by hand. One cd at a time over a year. If you are like me I need one for the car, one for my boom box, and one for the bedroom mega changer with the original in the hometheater mega changer.:cool:

And there was me thinking that I was serious about my music! :wink:

With CDR’s being so cheap I guess that it makes real good sense. :cool:

Folks, I am trying to consolidate my audio CD collection onto a hard drive NOT burn CD-Rs.

So the goal is to queue up alot of audio CD’s into an automated process for ripping them onto my hard drives.

With that clarification, can you please help me.
Thanks

There are these devices that can insert a CD automatically, as well as taking out the one that is in the drive.

But I do not know of any software that can rip continuously and automatically every time a new CD is inserted.

Every time I buy a bunch of new cds I rip them to my harddisk immediately, using three drives at the same time (burner, reader and DVD) and three sessions of EAC…works perfectly for me, but would still require a manual insertion of your CDs (which for 13 cds is no problem, but can be for 10,000)

When I saw this thread I thought someone was trying to beat the Grammy’s record of 6000 song in 3 days:D

I guess you could have 2 or 3 sessions of Audiograbber going for each CDRom you have. I don’t see a way around the inserting each CD though.

They have a 200 CD changer/player with a FireWire connectivity… it is pricey though $900… and I’ll have to write either an ActiveX script for the PC or AppleScript for the Mac.

It seems like such a basic thing… just a changer with a player connected to a PC.

I have seen CD organizers for under $200 and we know that players are under $70, USB or 1394 should only cost an additional $30… anyways, I would be happy to pay less than $900

BTW, compared to the Grammy record of 6,000 songs, I estimate that 10,000 CDs should contain approx, 120,000 songs. And if I could rip 12 songs per hour it would only take 40 days… so alot slower than that download champ, but I am guaranteed the highest quality and no interruptions.

Originally posted by joelb
It seems like such a basic thing… just a changer with a player connected to a PC.

What format will you be ripping to? Surely not raw .wav?

I vote for 3 or 4 Plextor 40x SCSI CD-ROM’s and multiple sessions of EAC. The MegaPlex changer would be cool but it’s only 8x CD-ROM’s inside and some serious $$$$.

Do they have to be SCSI drives?

Which other ripping tools can have multiple sessions each dedicated to a different drive? WMP, Creative PlayStation?

How powerful a CPU do I need to support 4 sessions in parallel?
How much RAM?

Thanks

Format:
mp3 or WMA is fine with me

Ideally you’d want to use SCSI to minimize any cpu overhead and also because the Plextor 40x are the best drives you can get for ripping audio and EAC is basically designed around them.

In your situation, using the Plextor drives + EAC + the clocking of the SCSI bus will pretty much assure you perfect rips - obviously you’re not going to have time to check every file for perfection. You’d let the hardware and software control that completely using this setup.

As for CPU and RAM. I’d go 256mb minimum. Each session of EAC + LAME will use up ~19mb.

As for parallel sessions on my 1GHz Athlon, each session (4 drives) would be running about .5x speed with LAME 3.91 --alt-preset standard to effectively rip 2 albums per hour. Using --alt-preset fast standard would double that to a little over 1x per session and 4 albums per hour. Using something like MPC for some higher bitrate files could easily do around 2.5x per session.

One other thing - I hope you’re using Windows 2000 or XP for that kind of multi-tasking.

Hmmmm…
I’ve set up 4 separate computers to write to the same disk… and I get to use each machine’s CD-ROM drive which range from 32X to 40X on audio extraction.
So ripping at usually 192 , I get about 7 albums per machine per hour… so about 30 per hour across all 4 machines.

Although I have a single monitor, keyboard and mouse, being toggled between all four machines, it’s a hassle to have to manually deal with each machine.

Do you have any suggestions to have the machines rip upon disk insertion and eject when completed… at least I wouldn’t have to check in on each machine through toggling.

I would much rather just put a stack of albums into a carousel and walk away and come back the next day to feed the furnace again… just don’t want to spend $900

sweet lord…thats a lot of CDS.

unless you can design your own hardware and write your own software, i dont see an easy solution.

try contacting some amature inventers. they would love a job like that ?

perhaps ? im not sure.

good luck.

I think I just got blown away…

I just picked up a Powerfile C200 CD/DVD changer for just that purpose. While I don’t have anywhere near 10,000 cd’s, it seemed that it would be useful to friends, family and myself to get a machine that would automate the process of switching discs so that they could all be ripped in succession.

That being said, the creators of the Powerfile are amazingly tight-lipped about offering development tips because they want to sell development kits for the Powerfile at a price tag of about $1400 a shot.

I currently have the C200 hooked up to my network (via a machine running Windows 2000) and have been mucking about with the unit to try and create a script or java program to initiate the load/mount/unmount/read commands.

If anyone else has had any luck with this or knows where I can get any opensource tips or code for a windows environment, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you kindly,

PJ (Techlifter@perryjoshua.com)

7 Albums per machine per hour, to the same disc?

What are you using to compress the MP3’s? It’s gotta SUUUUUUUUUUCK at those speeds.

@TechLifter this thread is over 3 years old and the poster has not been back since so maybe he has found a fix :bigsmile:
Having said that it sure is a lot of cd\dvd,s

Hey madmax, yeah, I understand, but I also knew that adding my comments would bump it current and it seemed that the people directly involved might have some insight. I kid you not, there is a serious shortage of info for writing apps to work with the powerfile. the closest I’ve come to finding patches of enthusiasts are Linux users using MTX and I’m not familiar enough with Linux to even attempt following that trail.

What a wonderful thread! Ripping 10,000 audio CDs… a very good item for “who rips first?” contests. :bigsmile:

I’d personally rip those CDs if I ever had that many to CD image files on HDDs and DVDs simultaneously. A 300GB HDD should be good for about 500 CDs. Just 20 300GB HDDs are needed. The cost of 10,000 audio CDs, probably for between US$100,000 and US$200,000? 300GB HDDs x 20 = around US$2,000 and getting less. 3 8-bay IEEE 1394b or SATA 3Gbps external cases should be enough to hold 20 HDDs.

Huh? 10 000 CDs would be about 1000Gb using -preset extreme (LAME).
//Danne