Please help me on this build

vbimport

Okay I’m going to school for engineering and I am somewhat of a game enthusiast. I made a wish list on newegg.com around a year ago and got put on hold due to finances. I’m questioning myself if my build is correct and/or good enough. I do use 3d modeling. And my main question would be if I went all out on this computer will it last long enough for use in the professional field, or would it be best to keep more simplistic for just student use?

I updated my build as a shared wishlist but it isn’t showing up so here are the items I have so far. Mind that the power supply and videocard are out-of-stock so I will have to update to something else. I’m also leaving out a Blu-Ray burner that I’ll probably down-grade and a digital temp reader which I probably wont get. Also if getting a SSD would be better instead of a HDD, I do have a lot of music and videos as well so would both be best? I’m really not sure myself. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or criticism. Besides it is the best way to learn :slight_smile:

-Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

-ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I looked at builds other people have done as well.
Cad Build #1
Cad Build #2

With that processor I’d use at least a Z68 chipset. Also: where’s the SSD?

I hate big cases. Lugging them around. Ugh. Oh yeah, file servers with 18 HDDs… OK, fine… move them from one side of the building to another…

I just couldn’t imagine someone voluntarily getting a Big Case for ONE HD?!! Jeepers. Well, lug it around for a few years, dorm to dorm, one apt lease to another… one thing, it might be it’s own anti-theft deterrent system. Too bad Sys/38s shells aren’t available… heck, beer fridges could fit in THOSE.

Also, I hate cases with only ONE USB 3 on them. Modern motherboards have a connector for TWO, yet the Case decides, “Sorry, bub, you’re unworthy for both, so we’re cutting you back to size.” BIIIIG case, little services. Sheesh. Sort of reminds me of Disco Guys with socks down their… well, never mind.

Folks may poke fun at the FDD connector BUT if you’re ever in a place where someone needs a floppy, at least YOU can help them. I like the ASROCK Ext-4’s for that reason.

The Antec 302 has two USB 3’s, by the way. Access to multiple hard drives is so much easi - oh wait, never mind - one HDD.

All snipping comments aside, “CAD”, “Engineering” and a “future-proof computer” don’t exist. Seriously, a 2-year lifespan as your main workstation would be great, but will be pushing it. But this generation of computer will be a great 2nd computer for you in Year 2 or 3.

I’d still consider a $50 case and take that $100 savings and put it into a Z77 motherboard (ASROCK, ASUS) because they’ll offer faster memory settings. If you’re throwing in a video card, see what $150-175 motherboards come without any video-connectors wasting circuitry or back-panel slots. These $150 MBs won’t be any more future-proofed in the CAD world than a $350 board would be.

My set up is almost as the Op posted running and asus P8 Z68-V Pro mobo
and i love it same processor you have listed with a Nvidia 560 femi GPU.

The board is rock solid 16 gigs of ram a samsung 830 series 256gig SSD and a samsung 1terabyte hard drive.

They are very easy to Over clock using the asus utility even for a novice.

Go with the Z68 chip set you will be much happier.:smiley:

Christine, I’ve seen some other posts of yours and yet another one cracks me up, thanks for that input it opened a lot of ideas to me. I will definitely look at other cases. There was a very basic Antec case that was pretty rock solid. I don’t remember the name though. As far as a SSD, I haven’t looked at a lot but I love nothing more than performance. I read about the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 PCI 480GB. One, being PCI and not SATA, I know I gain performance. Two, I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I read about them on StorageReview.com with pre-production and final-production reviews. I found it very interesting. As far as they say these SSD hold their memory for centuries, but as I’ve heard 2 years ago they only last at most 5 years. This is an expensive SSD, $1,199.99. Also Christine, you stated if I am throwing in a video card you make it sound like I might not need one. What are my options you’re talking about there. Another thing, I don’t want something that just run CAD programs I’d like to to own those programs :slight_smile: at that SolidWorks and Inventor are 3D and performance is everything. There’s a difference between “able to” perform and “great” performance. And I’ll look into the differences of the Z68 Chipsets and the Z77 Chipsets

Video Cards - some Intel boards have built-in circuitry for video connectors, and they feed off of certain Sandy & Ivy Bridge CPUs. People buy those and pay dollars for that circuitry - both in the chip and on the motherboard.

IF you’re into Gaming AND you want it hosted by superior video-cards, then I’d avoid spending ONE DIME EXTRA on a CPU and a motherboard with video circuitry and features that are duplicated on a costly video-card.

@ AcEric87
My son just built a new gaming rig. But then he is an all Asus fan [like his father] :wink:

Your case, power supply, CPU, memory and video card just seems right for a budget box. Not that sure abouth the mobo. Your Assblock P67 doesn’t support 2 times 16x lines on PCI, [if I read the specifications correctly]. That makes your pricy video card “under-performing” (and a waste of money).

Get a mobo with 2 true 16x PCI lines and ad a cheap 128Gb Intel SSD drive for your OS and games and I’m sure you are a king. :flower:

Good luck.

Edit.
@ChristineBCW, Intel “built in” CPU video “circuits” is no option for a gaming rig. :disagree:

Here in the Forums, we have a user aboard named HARLEY and he’s been presented an interesting - and ultimately persuasive argument to me - about SSDs.

“Smaller is better” is his argument.

And me, I was thinking, “More more more!”

No.

Now, I favor his argument: get two SSDs - identical units, maybe 60Gb. But two identical ones, and not very expensive either, and load up one and then clone it to the second. I can disconnect that Clone Unit then and let it sit ‘cold’ and if my Boot Drive dies, or I suffer from some ransomware attack, FINE. Pop the panel off, disconnect the old SSD and plug in the Clone. Now I’m back up and running.

Er, at whatever level of Cloning I last did, at least.

By having a small, very restricted-size SSD, I’m not tempted to load 'er up with every TV recording that I lazily save to C: Drive instead of correctly storing it on D:.

I won’t be downloading files errantly, slapping them on my Desktop because I’m disorganized - no, I’ll discipline myself to save them to D:\DOWNLOADS or something specific.

That way, I don’t need to re-Clone my boot drive very often. I can do Updates, Virus Scans, etc, and then do weekly/monthly clone-jobs, and re-disconnect my Clone SSD. It’s completely safe and secure that way.

By having Smaller not Larger SSD capacities, I’ve also invested far less money in that “security”, too. All I’ve really traded is More User Discipline. My attention span. A little more effort…

“Oh no! I have to undo the thumbscrew again?!! Argh!! I have to plug and unplug two cables AGAIN?!! WOE IS ME!!” Really, when I think about all this “extra effort”, sheesh - I should probably vacuum out the case anyway!

We have a pretty ugly Antec Two-Hundred Case ($40 at Fry’s). It’s 3.5" external drive-bay is actually a plug-in 2.5" drive bay. Hot swappable. Perfect for cloning one SSD Boot Drive to that clone SSD. I don’t have to remove any panels, or move the unit one inch, in fact. It’s aesthetics are not to my taste, but it’s incredibly functional. There are other cases that have ‘hot swap’ carriages built in, too.

I am not necessarily a fan of Antec, but I do like one aspect: their drive cages have almost a half-inch between every 3.5" HDD. That’s far more ‘breathing room’ - cooling air-flow - than any other case-maker. We have a LOT of customers that work in 4-5 drive RAIDS, and having cases that understand HDDS GET HOT is so wonderful. Antec does that constantly. They present other problems for maintenance sometimes, but spacing btw HDDs is a significant benefit.

…I won’t be downloading files errantly, slapping them on my Desktop because I’m disorganized - no, I’ll discipline myself to save them to D:\DOWNLOADS or something specific.

I just moved my desktop to the hard drive, along with all those pesky ‘My’ folders.

Corsair is currently replacing GS’s with a new version, and the original version was a bit of an under performer anyway (as in, better were available for same price). 800W is also a bit overrated for the build, a 600W should do, even 500W if you rate the system on real life use as opposed to stress-tests. Then again, if the 580 is going to get swapped then the psu needs to be re-thought anyway.

Hubby mentioned something else. “Engineering student? Someone’s going to intro him to Dual Booting. He might want something in the 90Gb size, not just 60.”

Ah yes, of course.

You may need to experiment - as official coursework - with dual-boots and Linux/Unix/etc environments. That also means a partitioned HDD for storage, too, so that 1Tb drive - still huge - might be examined in two or maybe three partitions.

Some folks will use 3 Data Partitions - one dedicated to Windows, one Linux and one “shared” to experiment with this setup. Programs like SAMBA ON LINUX can open up data drives across OS’s, but you may find it worthy to experiment (ie, occasionally destroy) a small experimental partition rather than useful ones.

Or here’s where multiple HDDs come into play, too. Even cheapo “used” ones will either work or you’ll immediately detect their failure - they let us know fairly quickly if they’re going to be working without spending weeks loading them up only to have them, uh, expire a slow death. Campus-area computer stores should have a slew of dust-collecting old drives (although the dustier ones will be IDE and most modern motherboards won’t support those - but the $25 IDE-to-USB kits will).

Maybe our other experts can write up tales about Intel’s Graphics Support Modules. There are Sandy Bridge CPUs without Graphics support, but I realized all the Ivy Bridges have built-in Graphics.

There are many MBs that don’t have direct video-connectors, however, and I have a feeling the CPU’s built-in graphics may not be wasted IF you get “the right video card” that can be enhanced by an Ivy Bridge’s built-in graphics engine.

I’ll hope our other experts can write up advice on those cards and CPU combo’s.

@ Christine
I def got to look into everything about the built-in graphics. I don’t have much of a hold on that knowledge. Thanks for pointing that one out.:bow::bow:

As far as the cloning with the boot drive, would the only purpose for cloning the boot drive be to have a backup in case the one keels over? Also if I'm looking at the SSD via PSI, I don't have much of a plug and play set up there. I'm in fact only looking at getting a small SSD for boot-up and processes. Maybe a second SSD and a HDD. The partition of the HDD was something I thought of my the only negative impact of that is if I get any worms or viruses it will transfer to the other partitions. 

@ Mizcu
As far for the corsair, I’ll look into that as well. As I did state that the build was old, as I created it before fall 2011. That must be why the PSU was out of stock.

I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do about the graphics card. Before when I made list I def wanted a good graphics card (I also like to game a little) but I'm not sure which way I'm gonna go. I didn't really think the 580 was over doing it. Hell professional grade graphics cards only start in the thousands... but those do some evil rendering jobs. nothing I need in my line of study though.

Needless to say on all this, between my kids, and getting ready for school. I haven’t found much time this week to research. Although I do right now so I will use this to my advantage.

While a heavy and big case may be a pain to lug around, its handy to have the upgrade space available. The Antec 900 is a mid tower case that has plenty of room and is on sale right now on the Egg.

Whatever mobo you get(Z68 or Z77) you want to look at the spacing of the PCI-2 or PCI-3 slots. Those bigger graphics cards can suck up extra space.

You might want to consider getting 2x8Gb sticks. That way if you want to upgrade you aren’t tossing out RAM sticks.

Something that seems insignificant but might benefit you is replacing the stock CPU heatsink/fan combo with something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or 212 EVO. I know its made a difference for me(Thanks, Big Mike). And from my perusals of the interwebs it looks like the Ivy Bridges were rushed to market and given a crappy thermal compound. So using a better thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 might help you as well.

The weak thermal compound in Ivy Bridges is between the chip and heat spreader, not between spreader and cooler. Changing it is not for the weak of heart.

so is the heat spreader what is locked in place to hold CPU in place? or is there something I am missing.

No, it its the metallic top-plate on the CPU itself; the actual chip is underneath it. See here: VR-zone
Because of its location, this is not same as switching the compound between CPU and cooler. However with quick google (i follow PSU-news a lot more than CPU-news) this isn’t a problem unless you are going to overclock.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2648198]There are Sandy Bridge CPUs without Graphics support, but I realized all the Ivy Bridges have built-in Graphics.[/QUOTE]

There are some Ivy Bridge CPU’s that do in fact have no built-in graphics. Intels Xeon series are mostly as fore-mentioned. Also another interesting feature. There can be multiple CPU’s on one motherboard. No I don’t mean as in the cores, you can have (in-term) 2P, 4P and more. The only thing though, unless you’re truly seeking a multi-processor system, these processors are meant mainly for servers as well as workstations. Mainly because of certain features these CPU’s have that are what practically make the processor differ from Intel’s Core Processors.

Eric, yes, the Xeon and the ‘server motherboards’ will have X CPUs per board, and separate banks of RAM, too. Top-end stuff, usually meant for server-work, though. On NewEgg, look up [B]SuperMicro[/B] as a motherboard vendor for examples. It’s a world where you don’t ask prices, by the way - “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it…”

But seriously, I’ve seen the Server World offer low-end starter-kit units in the $2,000 range, but truly $5,000 is the starting point for low-end servers. And $10,000-20,000 units aren’t considered too far out of the poverty range. Computer Centers will often start in the $250,000 a year budget and still need several years to gear up.

And in between the Desktop and Server world, the Engineering-Sciences World have The Workstation, too. AMD’s FirePro Graphics Card is a frequent standard for Workstations - these don’t change nearly as frequently as Gamer-Consumer video-cards. These can be Xeon-based motherboards as well, but will be marketed with the key-phrase “Workstation”.

I don’t know what FirePros are starting at - $1,000? $500? $2,000? And sometimes the air-conditioning bills will match those prices! Drop 3 of those in a GraphING machine, or something to render animations or 3D trendings - and bring in a few more A/C units.