Please help me get my f16 working again!

vbimport

Hi im in need of help, i have a Memorex DVD+/-DL RWL1 F16, ive had it forever now and its served me well for the most part, a while back I started getting the “illegal disc” error, so i crossflashed the drive with a lite on firmware to get it working again(LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S CSOT is how it is listed as now), it worked like a charm again.

Yesterday i was attempting to burn a dvd and it just wouldn’t burn for some reason, so i restarted my computer, now it won’t recognize any kind of disc whatsover, a dvd/blank dvd/cd/blank cd, it wont recognize anything, and ive done my research and can’t find anything to resolve the issue…

Any ideas on how to ressurect my only dvd burner?

also if im posting in the wrong forum i apologize, to my understanding, memorex is liteon/sony.

any ideas?

A possible cause is that you got a bad batch of media, so the drive is not able to write them correctly. Try to use proven quality discs like Verbatim. If this solve, then don’t use anymore tha bad discs.

Another possibility is that after a large number if burnings, the drive is at the end of its life :frowning:

However, my opinion is that you need a new drive, because the 1653 is not exactly a recent model and apparently you already used it a lot.

I know its not bad discs for sure, ive tried over 20 discs probably, different brands of blank dvds/cds including verbatim, and several different retail dvds/cds, it doesn’t even make an attempt to read them, but your probably right, its at the end of its life after five years :frowning: time to start looking for new drives

Anything you would recommend?

If you don’t mind taking the drive apart, you could try cleaning the rubbery platter that the media sits on - it may have enough crud on it that the disc isn’t spinning properly. Also clean the lens (gently) while you’re there. An alcohol swap works well.

I’ll let someone else recommend a new drive. (Do you have SATA on your motherboard? Most available drives are SATA now.)

[QUOTE=afecu;2470174]If you don’t mind taking the drive apart, you could try cleaning the rubbery platter that the media sits on - it may have enough crud on it that the disc isn’t spinning properly. Also clean the lens (gently) while you’re there. An alcohol swap works well.

I’ll let someone else recommend a new drive. (Do you have SATA on your motherboard? Most available drives are SATA now.)[/QUOTE]

Alright i will try that, and yeah i do have SATA ports on my motherboard.

i cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol, and cleaned the platter, but now the drive will not stay closed. it immediately opens when i turn on the computer, and i close the tray and it just comes right back out… any idea what it could be now? lol