Please help me choose a NEW dvd writer out of these brands (SONY, PIONEER, LiteOn, BenQ)

Hello guys,

My old BenQ DW-1640 has recently been producing coasters and not a single successful burn was produced until now. I believe that it’s unable to burn anymore and I need to find a new SATA/IDE DVD burner. :sad:

These are the models that are available to me :

1. SONY

A. DRU-845S (Lightscribe)
B. DRU-860S
C. DRU-V200S
D. AD-7200S
E. AD-7220S (OEM)

1. PIONEER

A. DVR-213LS (Lightscribe)
B. DVR-215

1. LiteOn

A. 20A3P (IDE)
B. iHAS120

1. BenQ

A. DW-1670
B. DW-1655 ($30-$45 more expensive than all other drives !!)

I always burn at x4 speed and I always use made-in Japan media such as Verbatim and Mitsubishi. The verbatim media that I currently have is TYG03 and MCC 003.

In the future I will mostly use the verbatim one. If possible I want a drive which is both an excellent burner and scanner. If not, at least it should be an excellent burner since my old BenQ DW-1640 is still a good scanner :cool:

I don’t particularly choosy whether the drive is Lightscribe / DVD-RAM writing capable but of course if possible I want lightscribe, DVD-RAM and other capabilities (c2error, etc) on top of excellent burning capability.

I heard that people have been talking about either SONY 72XX series and PIONEER (don’t know which series) being the best burner, but LiteOn and BenQ have their own reputation too. :cool:

Too many drive these days are re/cross-branded ones and make it even more confusing to choose which one as a NEW burner. :doh:

Needless to say that firmware and after sales support will also be very important factors to consider.

Please help me pick just 1 out of these models and if possible please state your reason/personal experience/advice as detailed as possible.

Thanks in advance ! :slight_smile:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I burn DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R Dl and DVD-R DL…

I like/have the NEC AD-7200 (IDE) and the LiteOn DH-20A3P, Both of these drives are no longer being produced; Buy them if cheap. Both scan (No jitter on NEC).

If LS and money aren’t a problem get the BenQ DW-1655 (Can scan). Since you want LS.

Burn On,
Russell

PS. If I could find them and could afford these: I would get all three!!! LOL

[QUOTE=Pernal;2215087]I like/have the NEC AD-7200 (IDE) and the LiteOn DH-20A3P, Both of these drives are no longer being produced; Buy them if cheap. Both scan (No jitter on NEC).

If LS and money aren’t a problem get the BenQ DW-1655 (Can scan). Since you want LS.

Burn On,
Russell

PS. If I could find them and could afford these: I would get all three!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

As you can see, quite a number of these drives are really good which makes me really think which one that I would pick… :stuck_out_tongue:

The BenQ is too pricey though… :doh:

I will be burning CD-R once in a while, may be once every several hundred DVD burns and I will prefer drives that are good at reading disks which are not in good conditions (just in case). These will be additional factors to consider…

I heard that LiteOn and Samsung are good at reading “bad” disks… Anyo other brands ?

Whoops ! I just re-checked and found out that the SONY AD-7200S is also an OEM but unless I’m wrong, DRU-V200S is also AD-7200S so there should be no problem…

Since LiteOn has been reputed as the best scanner for DVDs, I might me tempted to buy it also…

I’ll wait and see what others say first…

You could always pair an Optiarc AD-7200/Sony DRU-V200S with a LiteOn iHAS120.

You’d be able to quality scan both DVDs [with the LiteOn] and CDs [with the Optiarc].

You’d have good write quality all around with the Optiarc, but you could feed MCC 003 and TYG03 to the LiteOn with no ill effects, and get a pretty good write quality with either drive.

You’d have your DVD-RAM capabilities in both drives.

You can always try out enthusiast firmwares for the iHAS120 & toy around with it & some old junk media if you get bored. :bigsmile:

Or you could get the DH20A3P instead of the iHAS120. It offers the same basic features [maybe a few maximum write speeds are slower, but none are significantly different]. Whichever is cheaper. But I would still get the Optiarc to pair with it. Or [if the Pioneer DVR-215 is cheaper], you could switch it for the Optiarc. Your choice. :slight_smile:

BTW: I wouldn’t really miss the LightScribe feature with this combination. Lack of LightScribe is worth it if you get really nice burns. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2215128]You could always pair an Optiarc AD-7200/Sony DRU-V200S with a LiteOn iHAS120.

You’d be able to quality scan both DVDs [with the LiteOn] and CDs [with the Optiarc].

You’d have good write quality all around with the Optiarc, but you could feed MCC 003 and TYG03 to the LiteOn with no ill effects, and get a pretty good write quality with either drive.

You’d have your DVD-RAM capabilities in both drives.

You can always try out enthusiast firmwares for the iHAS120 & toy around with it & some old junk media if you get bored. :bigsmile:

Or you could get the DH20A3P instead of the iHAS120. It offers the same basic features [maybe a few maximum write speeds are slower, but none are significantly different]. Whichever is cheaper. But I would still get the Optiarc to pair with it. Or [if the Pioneer DVR-215 is cheaper], you could switch it for the Optiarc. Your choice. :slight_smile:

BTW: I wouldn’t really miss the LightScribe feature with this combination. Lack of LightScribe is worth it if you get really nice burns. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the combination advice, I have decided that whether I’ll go single or double, one of them will be SONY DRU-V200S. I 'm still thinking of what the other pair should be… It might be another excellent burner (another DRU-V200S or other) or Liteon (Scanner) or…

Why do I feel that most of the newer DVD burners of same brands are actually worse in term of quality burns (despite having more features) ? Is anyone feeling the same ? If yes then I need to seriously think about stocking good dvd burners which will affect my choice…

There are no other models available for LiteOn which is too bad since AFAIK DH20A3P and iHAS120 both are decent good burners but not exceptionally good ones. LiteOn are still top DVD scanner though… :doh:

LiteOn DVD burners are quite pricy which is also another factor that I need to consider, and I still has my old DW-1640 which AFAIK is a quite good DVD scanner although as not as good as LiteOn.

By the way, I almost forget about bitsetting. Does any of these drives don’t support bitsetting ? I assume they all support…

I also 100% agree that lack of Lightscribe won’t be missed as long as I got excellent burn results. :iagree:

The Optiarc drives support bitsetting, but may require re-flashing the drive with a specific firmware. By default, I’m not sure if they just burn DVD+R DL with bitsetting, or if they also bitset DVD+R single layer; however, I know that [with the other firmware] the drives can bitset both single layer and dual layer media.

The LiteOn drives support bitsetting as well, and the option may be changed with a number of programs.

And yes, others do feel that some of the drives with the most features are some of the drives with the least impressive burning quality [even though they are newer drives].

Stocking up on a couple of Optiarcs is a good idea to me. You can always get a LiteOn later if you need it. :slight_smile:

Since the Optiarc is that good of a drive with DVD and CDs, I wouldn’t mind stocking up on a few of those as Albert has suggested. :wink:

[QUOTE=06294086;2215550]

LiteOn DVD burners are quite pricy w:[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that, too, no idea why

prices are up and down like a yo yo, with hard drives, just bought one,

Yes, I have the OptiARC AD7200, and I burn verbatim’s. Over a really large sample, I have had not a single coaster. I have it installed in an external enclosure, and I have noticed that if it has burned many in one sitting, it will show errors during verfification. For some reason, If I turn it off, and then turn it back on and then verify the burn (always using imageburn), the burn is OK with no errors.

I have not had a chance to quality test any of my burns though (with Lite-Ons or Plextors).

What do you suggest to choose between SONY OPTIARC AD-7201S and PIONEER DVR-216D for good quality recordings and durability? These two are my only requirements and nothing more (like LS, LF, writing speeds, noise,). Which drive do you believe will handle better with my requirements?

With good quality media both drives should be fine, but for me the vote goes to the 720x series.

Thanks for the answer. May I also ask why would you choose that? According to a review? You have it yourself? Is it more durable?

I have the 7200A since December 2007 and i am using it almost every day, still it gives great results with good media, btw i got this drive before the review.

I also have the 7201S (just in case something happens to my 7200A) and it gives the same good burns as the 7200A.

Thanks a lot! :smiley:

This is my last question about choosing a DVD-Rec, I promise. According to the same requirements (great quality recordings & durability) which of these [B]Optiarc [/B]drives can handle better:
[B]7200S[/B], [B]7201S[/B], or [B]7203S[/B] ?

[QUOTE=mkyriakid;2242865]This is my last question about choosing a DVD-Rec, I promise. According to the same requirements (great quality recordings & durability) which of these [B]Optiarc [/B]drives can handle better:
[B]7200S[/B], [B]7201S[/B], or [B]7203S[/B] ?[/QUOTE]

i’ll go to the 7200S :iagree:

May I ask again, why? I mean, I can’t understand why does everybody agree that the oldest model is better than the newer ones? Or, what do newer model lack of? The only differences are Lightscribe and LabelFlash?