Please help me backup NOLF2

Hi. Alright - I’ve read most of the posts by the admins and mods on the topic and followed the instructions they gave (in my inexperienced view) to the letter but NOLF2 is still not running on my copies. So its not like I am posting redundant information which the admins have said they will delete. I know that it has been posted that if it doesn’t work after following those instructions, then maybe its your system - its not made up to copy it in the first place. I doubt it, my system is pretty standard:

System configuration:

[ul]
[li]LiteOn 40125 with a ZS0P firmware.
[/li][li]CloneCD v4.2.0.2
[/li][li]BlindWrite v4.3
[/li][li]P3 866MHz
[/li][li]NVidia TNT2 M64 4xAGP
[/li][li]LiteOn LTN483S 48xmax (plain CD reader)
[/li][li]3-D analyse V2.1 TnL emulator (as my video card is pretty dated)
[/li][li]128Mb RDRAM
[/li][li]OS Win 98 SE
[/li][/ul]

Yes, I know its a pretty dated system but I don’t think thats the problem - I was able to run it with the original CD. I will be getting a new system as soon as I figure out what to do with my old one - probably use it as my gateway for the internet while my new system is safely physically disconnected from the ‘cannon fodder’ current system. It is still too good to trash as its decent enough for most simple tasks like word processing or spreadsheets but is a real pain for CAD or Finite Element stuff like Pro-Engineer or Pro-Mechanica.

I’ll start off by stating exactly what I’ve tried and what happened.

First attempt:

[list=1]
[li]Made a CloneCD copy using Securom <v4.8* settings (hey, it worked for NWN for me - don’t ask me why because I don’t know, but it did.)
[/li][li]Needless to say in retrospect, thats +1 coaster.
[/li][/list=1]

Second attempt:

[list=1]
[li]Made a CloneCD copy using the new Securom profile which I got from this website.
[/li][li]I tried making my own BWA file with 50,000 as the max sectors. Speed: 8x
[/li][li]Used twinpeaks, configuration: twin sector step 15, max image file size 710Mb.
[/li][li]Burnt it on a CD-R with a standard game profile with the patched.ccd image and again +1 coaster.
[/li][/list=1]

Third attempt:

[list=1]
[li]Made a CloneCD copy using the standard ‘game’ profile which comes with CloneCD.
[/li][li]Used the BWA file which I downloaded from this website for NOLF 2.
[/li][li]Used twinpeaks, configuration: twin sector step 15, max image file size 710Mb.
[/li][li]More cleverly (or pessimistically by now) burnt it on a CD-RW and it gave me an illegal operation when I tried to start it with the emulator and never started.
[/li][/list=1]

Fourth attempt:

[list=1]
[li]Made a CloneCD copy using the Securom new profile which I downloaded off this website.
[/li][li]Created my own BWA file with the auto-detect max sectors on, giving 300000. Was really pissed off by now so used 1x speed to be safe.
[/li][li]Burnt it on a CD-RW and it this time did not give me an illegal operation when I tried to start it with the emulator but still never started.
[/li][/list=1]

Also, for the fourth attempt, as “The most recent version also detects if it is being run from a CD-R media, to solve this just use a CD-ROM, instead of a CD-Writer, to play the game from.” I tried using my non-CD writer LiteOn, but it also did not work.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Am I using the wrong version of Blindwrite? I read that 4.2.5 is a better version to use, but I can’t seem to find a place to download it at www.blindwrite.com. Perhaps I need to change the twin sector step or the even max image file size?

This is very frustrating. I know that Vivendi has a return policy for damaged CDs but this looks like one of those game I will be playing for some time and by the time the return policy has elapsed then (by Murphy’s Law) that is when my originals will get trashed. Like my poor SS 2 CD…as some of you may know, you can’t buy that game any more and a crack developed in the inner hole and propagated outwards. Eventually I was never able to use it and had to go to an auction site to buy another original…TWICE.

God damned copy protections.

Originally posted by Devils Advocate
twin sector step 15,

This is almost certainly the problem. You seem to be doing everything that I did except I used a twinstep of 50.

As for Blindwrite versions, 4.2.5 is said to be the best for latest SecuROM versions, but only if the whole process [ie read and write] is done in Blindwrite. I used the BWA builder from 4.2.8 when I made my twinpeak backup, but general advice in the blindwrite forum is to use the latest version of BWABuilder.exe. There is a skicky thread there that will enable you to download old versions of BlindWrite.

See here for what I did in more detail, including a link to another thread in which I tried to copy NOLF2 with Blindwrite.

Hope that helps.

Hi and thanks for the help so far. I changed the twin sector step to 50 and when I try to execute it I get a “This program has performed an illegal operation…” message.

This time, what I did was:

[list=1]
[li]Used a CCD Image ripped using the Securom New profile from this website.
[/li][li]Used a BWA file with 300,000 as the max sectors and a read speed of 1x.
[/li][li]Used Twin peaks to get the patched files from BWA and CloneCD.
[/li][li]Burnt a CD-RW using my LiteOn at 8x speed max using the standard Game profile.
[/li][/list=1]

Is Blindwrite v4.2.5. capable of copying NOLF2 without all the hassle of Twin peak patching, etc? If so, can someone give me a URL to download it from? Will my registration key for v4.3 work with an earlier version?

Also, am I right in assuming that since NOLF2 runs with my originals but not my backups (so its probably not because of my TnL emulator or insufficient specs PC) – either by just spinning up the CD and then stopping or giving me an illegal operation – my backups are still insufficiently 1-to-1 to satisfy Securom >v4.8*?

I burned my copy of the patched ccd image back with the SecuROM New - Lite-On profile you stated you used the standard game profile. This could have something to do with it, not that I can remember the differences in the profiles for writing.

There is a skicky thread in the Blindwirte forum that will enable you to download old versions of BlindWrite.

I know that NOLF2 requires Hardware TnL which the TNT range doesn’t support, but I guess the fact that it works with the original means that the emulator is working.

I tried to copy using BW 4.2.5 and it didn’t work for me, follow the link to read about it. The fact that it didn’t work for me doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work for you though.

What drive are you using to read the image? because when i use my 48125w lite-on it doesn’t seem to make a good image of securom games. I use my lite-on 166s to make the image in latest ccd and it works fine, i.e warcraft 3

Originally posted by orbitL
What drive are you using to read the image? because when i use my 48125w lite-on it doesn’t seem to make a good image of securom games. I use my lite-on 166s to make the image in latest ccd and it works fine, i.e warcraft 3

From my other post;

Originally posted by Orinoco
Actually I created 4 BWA files and chose the best. 2 were created by my LTD-163D [at 8x and 12x] and were truely :Z but the 2 from my LTR-40125S [both at 8x] were :cool: , so I chose the one with the shorter drop outs.

I have a Lite-On 48125W and tried to bakup the same game via the twinpeaks method described below.

But it would not work unless I used a philips CD-RW disc the normal CDR media I used just would not work. The game works flawlessly and I patched it to the latest version too and it still works. I also backed up Unreal 2 the same way and it too works fine.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64732

Hi. I was out of the country for a month or so and wasn’t able to reply to the replies posted here. I still have not been successful in backing up NOLF2. I did the Twinpeaks method, and still get “This program has performed an illegal operation” on Win98 or just running (and exiting before the intro screen which I get with the original) on WinXP.

About the twin sector step, is there a certain specific value I should use (I’ve tried 15, 50, 75) or is there a threshold beyond which any value is alright, e.g. >10?

Also, should I use CD-R’s instead of CD-RW’s; can the new Securom copy protection differentiate between media?

Thanks.

Hi. I was out of the country for a month or so and wasn’t able to reply to the replies posted here.

No Problem, welcome back

exiting before the intro screen which I get with the original

If the original doesn’t work, then you may have a good copy. You just can’t tell. I’d concentrate on getting the original working first. This isn’t the place to discuss game problems, but here is a good forum for NOLF and NOLF2 related matters. Last time I looked they were moving the forums to another server, but the place holder should link you on.

About the twin sector step, is there a certain specific value I should use (I’ve tried 15, 50, 75) or is there a threshold beyond which any value is alright, e.g. >10?

I find that 50 works best for me.

Also, should I use CD-R’s instead of CD-RW’s; can the new Securom copy protection differentiate between media?

I don’t think the protection can tell, but the backups are very media dependant, so it may be that a CD-RW is working because of some random characteristic of that type of media or just that disk itself.