Please help...LG GSA 4160B DVD-RAM does not work in DAM mode at all!

vbimport

Please help…my brand new LG GSA 4160B DVD-RAM does not work in DAM mode at all! It does not run any program and can barely read a CD. It works under “POI only”, but you know it’s not the optimized setting.

See my system details…

Windows XP Pro SP2
P4 3.0G
512MB
Asus P4P800S

Primary IDE
Master: 80G HHD, UltraDMA 6
Slave: 40G HHD, UltraDMA 5
The 2 hard disks are connected by using an 80-pin cable, the master is connected to the end connector and the slave is in the middle. Hard disks seem to work fine.

Secondary IDE
Master: LG GSA 4160B DVD-RAM, POI only
Salve: Creative 52X CD-ROM, Multi-Word DMA Mode 2
The 2 CD-ROMs are connected by using a 40-pin cable, the master is in the end connector and the slave is in the middle (is this the correct setting? Should I change it to an 80-pin cable? or swap the end and middle connectors?)

I’ve tried to uninstall the secondary IDE channel and reboot the computer, everything was re-installed automatically after re-boot, and the LG DVD-RAM will be configured as UltraDMA mode 4 by windows, but the device actually does not work in this mode, and I have to manually change it to “POI Only” in order to get it work.

How do I get this LG GSA 4160B DVD-RAM work under UltraDMA mode 4? Please help, thanks!

Recommended procedure:

1. Remove Secondary Slave CD-ROM. Connect single drive per cable.
  2. Change IDE cable and check its length (shorter is better).
    Quality of some 80pin IDE cable is low. If you use smart cable, change it to flat cable.
  3. Do not install Intel Application Accelator

1. The secondary slave, Creative 52X CD-ROM, works fine and I wish to keep it.
  2. Should I change the 40-wire cable to a “shorter” 80-wire cable?
  3. How do I check if “Intel Application Accelator” is installed or not?

Thanks again.

Uninstall the secondary IDE channel in control panel, restart windows, which will automatically detect the channel and install the drivers. This should now give you DMA mode for your drive.

I already tried to uninstall the secondary IDE channel and reboot the computer, everything was re-installed automatically after re-boot, and the LG DVD-RAM was configured as UltraDMA mode 4. But the device in fact does not work in this mode, so I have to manually change it to “POI Only” in order to get it work.

Can any one help?

Change the cable for an 80 wire type. You cannot have ultra dma 4 (66Mb/s) without an 80wire cable. That’s a fact I read from intel forums, so don’t try to set dma4 over a 40 wire cable, dma 2 would be fine, but your motherboard should sense that and don’t allow you to set it at dma4… so buy the cable, change it and try.

There may be other solution, but first try this; the other one is way more complex.

I had the same trouble - rebuilt my machine, reinstalled Windows, without result.
I finally tried a program which I rememberd from a long time ago - Force ASPI - and found many variants. The one which I think worked for me was aspi_471a2.exe which you can find easily with Google. I now have UDMA4 on my 4160B - though it still won’t burn over 4x.
Hope this helps - let us know.

perhaps ur media is only 4x burnable on LG4160B. for instance, RITEKG05, nomatter what, it is still 4x in 4160 n 4120 :o

I have almost the same problem with DMA mode.
(Tried lots of things:good cable, different location or clean installation of W2K etc). In my case, it works with Memorex 4X DVD+RW, but hangs with Memorex 4X DVD-R under DMA (PIO is OK). When it also hangs with Maxell 8X DVD-R under DMA, I decided to return it to the store (PIO can’t burn faster than 2X).

Now I have the latest GSA4163B, it works great so far. :bow:

For thoes who can’t exchange GSA4160B for GSA4163B, and still have problem with DMA, I would suggest you try the lastest version of Nero. I have good reason to suspect the problem has something to do with the free OEM software which comes in the 4160B box. When I installed my new 4163B drive, I took a short cut to see if it would work without reinstall the software. You guess it, the new drive also hangs. After I cleaned up the system and installed free OEM software included in the 4163B box, I finally got 4163B to work!!! Your 4160B drive may work as well with the OEM software in 4163B box. Talk to a friend.

I am still a big believer in LG after all.

I still see 66, not 33 for both of my 4120B and 5163D (4163B cousin.) BenQ DW1620 as 33 and DVR-108 as 66.