Please help LDW-451S is dead, I'm distracted

I had flashed firmware from GSB4 to GSB7, after that I was playing with rpcde2.exe utility with no success (seems It was so stupid). After I reboot my PC the drive LED starts blinking in yellow, drive do not read any media at all but BIOS and Windows XP recognizes it.
After that I was flashed under DOS with BIN version of firmware using boot floppy and MTK utility with no success so now drive is absolutelly dead.
Please somebody any suggestions how to revive it.
Please help me…

OMG, what were you going messing with someone else’s drive? :rolleyes:

You did not change the EEPROM at all did you (if you haven’t used the program called LtnFlash then you haven’t changed the EEPROM).

To start: read the mtkflash section of the LiteOn guide found in my signature.

If you tried to use RPCDE on your Liteon DVD Burner, then you changed one byte in the EEPROM and this caused the checksum to not match and the drive will now refuse to work. You have two options. Use the Zebra mod v4 to fix the checksum in your EEPROM backup or else flash the drive with a firmware that has been patched to remove the EEPROM check.

Originally posted by dhc014
If you tried to use RPCDE on your Liteon DVD Burner, then you changed one byte in the EEPROM and this caused the checksum to not match and the drive will now refuse to work. You have two options. Use the Zebra mod v4 to fix the checksum in your EEPROM backup or else flash the drive with a firmware that has been patched to remove the EEPROM check.

Ah yes I remember that now. Silly me I even have a note about it in my LiteOn tools guide :stuck_out_tongue:

You could also read this thread. Although if the above methods work if will be easier.

Plus if you do the Z-Mod you will end up with a better drive (811S) :smiley:

Thanks a lot gentlemens!

Now I just need to know one thing:
How can I change EPROM checksum at appropriate address ( I had read another tread reccomended). I have no any backups, also I have no idea how to backup EPROM content.
Or where to get this Z-Mod tool and some manuals or firmware with no EPROM check. Please understand that I have no much time for search also I’m not very famiar with such thing like EPROM checksum and how to change it.
Thak you in adwance.

Try the Z-mod first it’s probably the easiest way to try and fix it.
If you check the LiteOn tools guide in my sig it is tool #11.
Make sure to backup your EEPROM first (it’s all in the guide) so you can go back if you need.

About Zebra - yes I have this tool now but as I understand there is no way to use it if the drive are dead completelly and even a BIOS cannot recognize it.
MTK flash CAN reflash the drive but drive are still unrecognizable.
What should I do now. Seems EPROM content was harmed completelly not only the checksum.
I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe someone here are so kind and will explain me if it is doable or not.