Please help identify what this chip is with pictures: Lite-On iHAS324-17 (F)U

This doesn’t really look like other pictures I’ve seen of MediaTek chips. I have no idea if there is some software that would tell me something this specific about my drive. Please have a look at these pictures though and see if you recognize anything. It’s a Lite-On iHAS324-17 (F)U. I couldn’t find what the U stands for. The production date is April 2016.

I’m mainly wondering if this is one of the best examples of Lite-On’s drives, or if I should be searching for another.

The chipset is on the other side of the motherboard.

[ATTACH]335544[/ATTACH]

Oh! I should have realized. Is that tricky to remove? I assume the LiteOn table should be accurate after all, that this probably has a MT1879E. I guess that’s good?

I saw the iHAS124 W actually ranked #1 in this year’s dBpoweramp AccurateRip list. I can’t help but wonder why there are so many different drives in this series.

You got chipset such as my photography - MediaTek MT1862N
All major data structures drives PLDS have a table LiteOn

[QUOTE=Pixel Eater;2788476] I can’t help but wonder why there are so many different drives in this series.[/QUOTE]

LG has had the following GH24… models:
GH24NS50
NS70
NS90
NS95
NSB0
NSC0
NSD0/NSD1

Samsung had…
SH-S243N/D
SH-222AB (temporarily returned to 22x models)
SH-222BB
SH-224BB (…Back to 24x models)
SH-224DB
SH-224FB

Compare to, from LiteOn,
iHAS124 A
Y
B
C
W
D
E
F

Every time a new, more cost-effective chipset or OPU or something similar comes out (or when a component is discontinued), a new drive model appears so the manufacturers spend as little as possible. It happened across manufacturers who used MediaTek chipsets. If we include 22x models from before each of the above made a 24x drive, the list grows due to similar revisions.

Of the other manufacturers which put out 24x models:

Optiarc only did an 18x, (rebadged a 20x), a 20x, (rebadged a 22x), and three 24x models.
Pioneer did an 18x and a few 20x models (and rebadged a few faster models).

Everything else is a rebadge of one of the above, more or less. So for those high-volume producers, it was sort of necessary to save every cent to keep business. And LiteOn reused leftover bits from Optiarc for a couple of models, except for the x24 Y which was a clone of the genuine Optiarc 7240. But you can imagine that was to keep up with perceived demand. :wink:

Thanks for the detailed explanation Albert. Informative as always. And thanks for the correction czary2mary1, I looked at that wrong.

I have a question that it’s okay if no one has an answer to, but just wondering about some sweet spots in LiteOn’s history, and if the iHAS324 F is one of them. Or if that corporate need for cheapness has had consequences. It does seem a pretty good drive. It appears the iHAS124 W (renesas?) was one of the greats if this was anything to go off of:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?37706-CD-DVD-Drive-Accuracy-List-2016

…though I wouldn’t be surprised to learn this is an imperfect metric in some sense.