Please help! HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B

Hey. I have a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B as my main and internal DVD/CD Drive. Whenever I put in a CD, nothing comes up. When I go to “My Computer” and click “CD Drive (:J)” it tells me to put in a disc. I bought a game and that doesn’t work. So it is just not registering anything I put in and can’t read it. I am not a computer expert so I don’t want to take open the back and take any thing out.

Computer is Acer Aspire T120E-8870. I would appreciate any help, thanks! :bow:

You have only given us scant information! However neither windows or the drive will register or read an empty disc. Use a program like cd/dvd speed and see if it can recognize the disc in the disc info tab.
This could be an issue with the drives drivers or conflicting software.
Finally it could also be that the drive has died and to see if that is the case and to discount the other causes the best way is to take the drive out and try it in another computer.
As you don’t want to do that the easiest way out of your problem is to buy a new computer. :doh: :bigsmile:

It isn’t an empty disc. It is a CD and I tried a game.

You should probably put more information about your system into the post so people will have a better understanding of what is going on.

As for me, I also have the same LG drive, and after I install Vista with that drive I am unable to read any type of disc.

It took Microsoft Support 5 hours, but they concluded that there is a setting called DMA which causes your drive not to function properly. In order to disable this setting, you need to go into Device Manager, to the properties of your IDE channels, under the Advanced Settings tab.

My drive works after it is disabled, but it works a lot slower than it should because DMA is a good thing to have and I am not sure why my particular motherboard and drive do not work well together.