Please help! DVD BURNER

vbimport

i purchased a dvd/rw today from a local computing shop, its make is LG i bought it for £39.99 , when i got home my dad helped me install the drive. i then insterted the cd that came with it , pinacle dvd writing software, i inserted one of the blank dvd r disks i got free with it , i followed the instructions and dragged the Transporter Film i had on my pc, this is a downloaded film btw, it said copying from :c./my videos - d/ dvd/rw that then dissapeard, now all i hear is the sound of the disk in the rewriter being used . when this finished it said burn process complete and the disktray was opened, i inserted this disk into my ps2 - pleasse insert correct Playstation2 or playstation disk, so that diddnt work, why?, next i went downstairs and put it in my dvd player, it says it reads cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, dvd-rw. on the screan it said , dvd player may not be able to playback disk then it ejected. so what am i doing wrong, the file type is .avi and is there any converting i need to do? or , what file type is will i need to play on my dvd player or ps2?. thanks

I would go to www.nero.com and download a trial version of Nero. Then go to www.videohelp.com and do some reading. After you install Nero, open nero smartstart, go to nero express and follow the bouncing ball.

Insert the disk you copied into your writer, and in Widows Explorer look at the contents of the disk. For it to play on a DVD player, there should be two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS will be empty, but VIDEO_TS should contain IFO, BUP and VOB files.

If all you see is an AVI file, then you have not create the DVD correctly and some conversion will be necessary.

Some versions of Nero can help, or you can try a dedicated movie editing/creation applications. (Personally, I use Magix Movie Edit Pro 2005 [www.magix.com]). Also, take a look at www.videohelp.com were you can certainly find freeware tools to help you convert, if necessary.

Good luck,

Legs2Sag

please help me! Insert the disk you copied into your writer, and in Widows Explorer look at the contents of the disk. For it to play on a DVD player, there should be two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. AUDIO_TS will be empty, but VIDEO_TS should contain IFO, BUP and VOB files,

i see all of those files!!! but right, i burned the transporter after i converted it from .avi to dvd… i tried it in my pc , makes a load of funny noises then power dvd5 comes up and it plays perfect. i put it in my ps2 and it plays about 2 seconds speeds up then freezes, i put it in my dvd player i hear a sound for less than 1second then it stops, whats the problem? :a

Go do www.videohelp.com and see if your media is compatible with your DVD player. The media comes in both +R and -R formats. Also you can try to play the dvd that you created in someone elses DVD player. If nobody else can play it, then you need to try other software than what you are using. If it plays, try different media.

That’s right. There are +R and -R media. Not all DVD players are compatible with both, and some DVD media (be it + or -) will be rejected by some players. Couple that with the fact that +R can be ‘bitset’ (to fool your player into thinking the disk is a DVD-ROM) and it’s no wonder that so many people are bewildered by DVD burning. :eek:

A lot of the time it’s just trial and error, finding what works for your particular set-up.

Finally, it’s a good idea always to buy quality media - with DVD you really do get what you pay for! You may like to check out www.svp.co.uk and www.ukdvdr.co.uk. Both offer a good rang of DVD media, and SVP I have found to be particularly helpful (that’s not to say ukdvdr isn’t helpful - I’ve just never had to contact them for support).

Legs2Sag