Please help: copying/writing takes 2 hours

Hello.,

I also posted this in the general dvd burner forum. If that’s a forum “no-no”, I’m really sorry. I don’t mean to spam the forum. Please forgive me.

Anyways, I have an LG-GSA-E60L Super Multi DVD±RW USB 2.0 External Drive.

I AM A COMPLETE NEWBIE!

And, I am such a newbie, that the other forums haven’t helped me because I don’t quite understand all of it.

I’m trying to copy some of my dvds. I’m using this burner with the most updated firmware. My disks are 16X. It is taking me about 2 hours to burn a dvd. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong or what I have to adjust. I’ve turned off my firewall protection, anti-virus programs, and I’ve unchecked all my visual settings, too. My IDE controllers are set correctly on DME (is that what they were called? Whatever it is, I’ve checked that and they’re set on enabled).

The copying time isn’t too bad-- maybe about 20 minutes or a little longer. But, the writing time is excruciatingly long. . . .up to 1.5-2 hours.

Someone wrote something about BIOS and how he had to check his to make sure it was set as AUTO. I don’t know how to do this, so I haven’t checked that.

Also, someone in another thread asked something about master/slave. I have no idea what this is either (well, related to computers and controllers, etc.). . . so I don’t know how to check this out.

Please help. This is so incredibly slow, I don’t know what I should do.

Thanks, in advance!

Do you have USB 2.0?

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Hi Jeff (you must be usb man!). Yes, I have enhanced showing, but I’m just learning about this and I’m embarrassed to admit that I just figured out that I have this plugged into a usb hub with no external power source and is NOT a 2.0 hub. So, that might be it. I’m going to go get a high speed hub that can be plugged in externally and try that.

And, I’ll update when I do. I hope that’s the problem. It seems as if a lot of people have long burning times and the usb speed has never been even mentioned in those other posts.

If you’re still on, do you think I need a high speed cable, too? I have no idea what kind of cable I’m using.

If you can read a DVD in 20 minutes, it must be USB2. Anyway, post the result of the Nero CD-DVD Speed burst transfer test, you need a disk with some data in the drive to run the test.
What media are you using ? Post a screenshot of the Nero CD-DVD Speed Disc Info tab.

Jeff and Ala-- I went to Staples and paid 2X as much as I would have online paid for a high speed hub and cable. And, can you believe it? This works! Copying was the same, but I am 60% done writing my disc and it’s only been 7 minutes! I just can’t believe that this was the answer. . . in all the forums I read and all the suggestions, nobody had ever even mentioned this until now!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Ala-- thanks for the suggestion about the Nero. I think I did that earlier but didn’t really know what the results meant. Anyways, it’s much much faster now.

I really appreciate your responses. :slight_smile:

Edited to add: It’s done-- 12 or 13 minutes!