Please help bitsetting/booktype

I have a GSA-H54N which i cross flashed to GSA-H55N. I read everywhere and it says that my burner supports bit setting. However, whenever i set to DVD-ROM mode (in nero) it does not take affect.

I have also tried using DVDinfo Pro which says by burner does not support bitsetting. I am using DVD +R DL

I also checked in Nero toolkit but the lowest speed i can do is 4x. Please help.

Do not have same model, but this shows that LG ODD’s can support bitsetting.
Also as far as I know DL + media is auto bitset to DVD-ROM anyway.

In the above if feature not supported. It should be greyed out.

[QUOTE=atulb;2127884]
I also checked in Nero toolkit but the lowest speed i can do is 4x. Please help.[/QUOTE]

With modern drives & media even 4X can be too slow.
So why would you want slower?

Welcome to cdfreaks atulb. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=atulb;2127884]I have a GSA-H54N which i cross flashed to GSA-H55N. I read everywhere and it says that my burner supports bit setting…[/QUOTE]Linky.

With 2+ mil posts in our forums search button is your best friend.

@soulsurvivor, :iagree: :smiley:

Thanks for your help guys. The reason why i need 2x is because i need to burn Xbox 360 backup ISOs. Also i have searched the whole day, that’s how i was able to cross flash but did not find the bit setting info. I have already read the thread that was bookmarked.

Also according to manufacturer the writer supposedly supports 2x 2.4x. However i tried 5 different burning software, they all show 4x 6x 8x and so on.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2127925]With 2+ mil posts in our forums search button is your best friend.[/QUOTE]yup and also don’t forget > http://www.alexander-noe.de/bitsetting/index.html from this thread > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/permanent-booktype-setting-lg-4163b-127918/

[QUOTE=Bob;2127943]yup and also don’t forget > http://www.alexander-noe.de/bitsetting/index.html from this thread > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/permanent-booktype-setting-lg-4163b-127918/[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks Bob i did read the mentioned thread but found the link http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Bitsetting/ to be expired. I must have missed the response by ala42. I appreciate you posting http://www.alexander-noe.de/bitsetting/index.html. I will try this out.

Welcome to CDF’s atulb. I remember that thread when it was brought up that link was no more so i cheated some :wink:

[I]Off topic[/I][QUOTE=Bob;2127954]…I remember that thread when it was brought up that link was no more so i cheated some ;)[/QUOTE]:rolleyes:

Bob, Alexander can’t be a student on university forever… :bigsmile:

LOL, i didn’t even realize it was student page. Ok so i downloaded FrogASPI.dll and ran install.bat. However when i go back to burning software, imgburn will still show:

Book Type: DVD+R
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x, 20x

Same goes for DVD +R DL. Please see the screen shots, first one allows me to set booktype, second shows the changes do not take affect.

Forgot to add the Nero DiskSpeed screens. As you see i am able to change the settings, however changes do not actually take affect.

You have to burn the disc after changing booktype command. Setting it will not do anything to a blank disc. After the disc is burned then look and see.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2127964][I]Off topic[/I]:rolleyes:

Bob, Alexander can’t be a student on university forever… :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Well i know some people that are professional students :bigsmile:

Thanks for all your help Bob. I was under the impression that once you change the BookType successfully it will shows the effect in Nero DiskSpeed. If you check the attached images you will notice the difference in what other’s get and what i actually see.

Change the booktype setting > Burn the disc [the actual change of the disc’s booktype will occur at a point during the burn] > Check that disc with CD-DVD Speed

You’ve done it right for that last disc. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=atulb;2128013]Thanks for all your help Bob. I was under the impression that once you change the BookType successfully it will shows the effect in Nero DiskSpeed. If you check the attached images you will notice the difference in what other’s get and what i actually see.[/QUOTE]Yes that one is DVD-ROM but the one in post #10 says “Empty” and is DVD+R. That’s why i thought you were trying to change them before you burned them.

One important point.
Insert disc, then set the bitset using CD/DVDSpeed.
Then leave disc inserted & burn.
Bitsetting this way is known as Temporal.
In other words is only temporary. As soon as disc is ejected, settings are lost.
The results of bitsetting can only be verified after burning.
So two points really, but the latter has already been mentioned.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2128028]One important point.
Insert disc, then set the bitset using CD/DVDSpeed.
In other words is only temporary. As soon as disc is ejected, settings are lost.
So two points really, but the latter has already been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. And you are right, BOB i was trying to do that. However, i checked both disks that i have previously burnt and they show to be DVD-ROM. The only reason i was being thrown off is because, i am not able to burn at the recommended speed of 2x/2.4x. Even when i select this setting (2x), Clone CD burns at 4x which may be a problem. I will try and using IMGBurn to check the difference.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2128028]One important point.
[B]Insert disc, then set the bitset using CD/DVDSpeed.[/B]
So two points really, but the latter has already been mentioned.[/QUOTE]yeah glad you brought that up! (in bold)

I thought it would hold the setting till a shut down or a reboot/restart but it’s been so long since i needed bitsetting i don’t remember.

[QUOTE=atulb;2128036]Thanks for the clarification. And you are right, BOB i was trying to do that. However, i checked both disks that i have previously burnt and they show to be DVD-ROM. The only reason i was being thrown off is because, i am not able to burn at the recommended speed of 2x/2.4x. Even when i select this setting (2x), Clone CD burns at 4x which may be a problem. I will try and using IMGBurn to check the difference.[/QUOTE]yeah you can experiment with the different apps and see which you like best.

Your not the first person to think bitsetting will change before the disc is burned and you won’t be the last either. After all we’re here to learn right!

Your drive appears to support only 4x as the lowest speed. Selecting 2x/2.4x will have no effect, and the drive will burn at 4x. :wink: