Please help-Adaptec CD Platinum

vbimport

Hope someone can help me.

Have just loaded Adaptec Easy CD Platinum on my machine.
Installation went fine no problems but when re-booted as per instructions after installation system crashes to BSOD and got this message:

This is the information which appears on the blue screen of death is:
WINDOWS
The 32 bit device driver CDRPWD(01) + 0000AD23 has attempted to use a system
service which is not loaded.
It may be possible to continue normally.
* Press any key to attempt to continue
* Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved
information in all applications.
Press any key to continue.

Pressing any key has only the effect of returning you to the warning
message. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL has no effect. The only way to recover is by
manually restarting the computer. Fortunately I have 'GO-BACK' on my system
and can revert to a time before the attempted install.

I would be very grateful for any help/advice on resolving this matter.

BTW my O/S is Win98 SE

cheers

Robocat, please provide more info regarding your setup. Besides your OS, what cd writer do you have (including model #)? Is EZcd the only writing software on your pc?

I have a LiteOn 32123S and EZcd doesn’t support it yet.

cough Easy CD Creator :rolleyes: cough That’s your problem right there :wink:

Czar

Burner is Yamaha 4260, mobo-QDI with Pentium 11 400
Also running Nero 5.5

Thanx for your reply.

Since Roxio lists your writer as supported you may want to try “only” running EZcd. I know a lot of people are running several programs at once, but I had a problem running VOB and Nero together.

You may want to see if there is a firmware update available from Yamaha (I don’ t know if they flash or not).

Also, how clean is your install of W98? If it’s been awhile, you may want to consider backing up your info and re-installing W98.

I don’t know anything specific about the fault you are receiving.

You may want to consider using the other programs (Nero, CD Maker, VOB, etc…)

I saw on Roxio’s site that there is a firmware upgrade on your writer. You may want to install that and try again.

Sorry for my previous comment since it didn’t help much. In my experience Roxio and Nero don’t like eachother a lot and this could be your problem. Try installing the latest Nero version. If that doesn’t help check out some of the tools on this site under Bootmenu for parallel usage of several burnprograms. And finally when doesn’t give you a sollution either delete Easy CD Creator or Nero. I would delete Easy CD but I think you already knew that…

Good luck

Last time I knew EZCD creator and NERO did not play well together, I am really suprised that you got both of them loaded on the same machine, when I try it tells me i have to remove one of them…

Thnx for all your advice everybody,very grateful.

Have decided to remove Easy CD and use Nero as I agree it is better program.

Cheers

The C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\cdrpwd.vxd file is a DirectCD Packet Writing driver.

Nero 5.5 and EZCD 5 Platinum coexist very well. There is no conflict whatsoever. Conflicts reported with EZCD are all related to DirectCD up to version 3.5. These earlier versions of DirectCD could cause problems with Nero, but there were workarounds that did not require a boot menu. Version 5 of DirectCD (in EZCD Platinum) has no conflicts with any other burning programs.

The primary rule is: Use only One packet writing program on your system. More than one packet writing program is guaranteed to cause a conflict. Multiple premastering and copying programs are OK. VOB has a potential problem with one Nero driver, but the VOB program warns about this if Nero is also loaded.

If you had Nero’s InCD loaded when you installed EZCD Platinum, this is probably the cause of the error message.

You can use Nero 5.5 with EZCD 5 Platinum if you don’t install the Nero InCD packet writing system, but use DirectCD instead. DirectCD will do packet writing to both CDR’s and CD-RW’s, but InCD can write only to CD-RW’s.

In order to help people, I have about 18 burning prorams actively installed on my system (with no conflicts), but only one packet writing program.:slight_smile:

In order to help people, I have about 18 burning prorams actively installed on my system (with no conflicts), but only one packet writing program.:slight_smile: [/B]

This is good gouge Inertia. Someone told me that NTIUS’s FileCD packet writes in ISO 9660, which would make it very handy to use with machines that don’t have a UDF reader. Do you have any info on this? I couldn’t get FileCD to install with my LTR 32123S so I can’t say.

Also, how did you decide on DirectCD for packet writing? Does it have any advantages other than the obvious, being able to format/write CDRs and CDRWs?

NTI’s FileCD can’t “packet write in ISO 9660”, which is impossible. UDF packet writing and ISO 9660 writing are two different specifications. FileCD can write in ISO 9660 to a CD-RW disk, but this choice does not use packet writing. Any other premastering program such as Nero, EZCD Creator, WinOnCD, Prassi, etc. can do the same thing. I don’t understand why FileCD presents this as something unusual, except that most packet writing programs only do packet writing and not ISO 9660 as well. It is not really much of a feature in my opinion since all premastering programs do the same thing.

One of the main features of most packet writing programs is drive letter access, enabling drag & drop to a CD-RW with Windows Explorer (using the disk as a hard drive). FileCD won’t do this directly. See Why do I get an error when I try to drag and drop a file to my CDRW drive?

DirectCD may be the only major packet writing program that uses CDR as well as CD-RW disks. When CDR disks are used, the disk is written in variable length packets, which doesn’t require the extensive formatting for CD-RW fixed length packets. The formatting takes a few seconds and uses less overhead than CD-RW, providing almost 100 MB more writable space (624 MB after formatting) on a 650 MB disk. In addition, DirectCD offers the option to close a packet written CDR to ISO 9660. This requires leaving at least 10 MB of space to write ISO information that will allow the disk to be read on any computer. This ISO information is written “on top” of the underlying UDF structure, and provides a reference that enables computers to read the information as if it were written in ISO 9660.

In general, DirectCD offers advanced features that may not be found on other packet writing programs. Some of these features are:
a. The ability to compress files while packet writing, enabling significantly more storage capacity per disk.
b. A writing techique called “sparing” is used that keeps a CD-RW disk from wearing out prematurely due to writing over the same sector again and again.
c. Bad sectors can be internally marked as unusable.

Inertia - thankyou for an excellent explanation :smiley:

You’re welcome. Glad to be of service.:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]DirectCD may be the only major packet writing program that uses CDR as well as CD-RW disks. When CDR disks are used, the disk is written in variable length packets, which doesn’t require the extensive formatting for CD-RW fixed length packets. The formatting takes a few seconds and uses less overhead than CD-RW, providing almost 100 MB more writable space (624 MB after formatting) on a 650 MB disk. In addition, DirectCD offers the option to close a packet written CDR to ISO 9660. This requires leaving at least 10 MB of space to write ISO information that will allow the disk to be read on any computer. This ISO information is written “on top” of the underlying UDF structure, and provides a reference that enables computers to read the information as if it were written in ISO 9660.

In general, DirectCD offers advanced features that may not be found on other packet writing programs. Some of these features are:
a. The ability to compress files while packet writing, enabling significantly more storage capacity per disk.
b. A writing techique called “sparing” is used that keeps a CD-RW disk from wearing out prematurely due to writing over the same sector again and again.
c. Bad sectors can be internally marked as unusable.
[/B]

Originally posted by czar

Thanks for the explanation Inertia. I was passing on what some other guy told me about FileCD. I couldn’t get the program to recognize my drive so I wasn’t speaking from 1st hand knowledge.

I don’t know if VOB is considered major or not, but EZCD and DirectCD does not support the LTR 32123S yet. If they’re so big, what’s the problem?

VOB’s InstantCD 6 does support my LiteOn! I would love for someone to explain how DirectCD is better than InstantWrite by VOB. I haven’t found a flaw with VOB yet.

In fact VOB appears to be quite stable and offer more features, including writing in RAW.

I don’t subscribe to the better-best software theory. In my opinion this is a subjective evaluation, based on an user’s specific likes and dislikes, requirements, and use habits and preferences. Unlike operating system monopolies which are not due to superiority but the prevention of competition, burning software is very diverse. There is something for everybody. The best software is the one that fills your needs and works best for you.

Being a big burning software company is not usually an advantage in updating software to support the newest recorders. Although Nero updates frequently, they also don’t yet support your burner. Support will probably be available soon from both Nero and EZCD Creator.

VOB is very good software and does have a lot of burning capabilities. If you’re happy with it, the opinions of others don’t really matter.:slight_smile:

I’m with ya Inertia. I’m new to burning software and I don’t have a lot of knowledge about how it all works. I only recommend InstantWrite to XP users that have run into problems with InCD and DirectCD.

I own Nero 5.5.6.4/InCD 3.12 (bundled with my LiteOn), I bought EZCD 5.1 since it’s XP compatible only to find out DirectCD is not yet compatible with my writer. VOB was the only program I could get to work for regular burning and packet writing. I like the interface of EZCD and I hope DirectCD supports my drive soon.

Your posts have been a big help, especially concerning only running one packet writer. It has spared me, and others I’m sure, from a lot of conflicts, and its good to know I can try all of the other burning software without having to delete each one first. Thanks.

Inertia
Many thanks for sharing with us, you made my day. I own both the Roxio Platinum and Nero and I like the Roxio for Direct CD, but like the Nero for it’s burn on the fly feature. InCD I have absolutely no use for. You must use the software to eject the CD and I found it to be very slow and quirky running in WinXP.
I have disabled the Roxio software bundled in XP, useless.
Just ordered a new Plextor Drive and after reading your post will install the Roxio with Direct CD and their Easy CD. I will also install the Nero. Who said you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Once again thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks, itzbinnice, I’m glad if I helped you.:slight_smile:

A couple of points of clarification, however:

DirectCD should be ejected by software only as well. The reason for this is that a small amount of UDF information must be written to the disk before it is ejected. Otherwise there will be read errors when the disk is reinserted. Packet writing programs work differently than premastering programs and some time should be invested in learning how to use them. Most packet writing problems that I have seen are caused by improper use and lack of understanding how to use the program.

Easy CD Creator can easily write on the fly. In fact it can burn CD Text audio disks on the fly. Nero can’t do this, and requires that CD Text tracks be extracted first to the hard drive before burning in Disk at Once.