Please HELP! 708A from USB 2.0 writes @1 DVD+R discs

I am going nuts here. I bought some Arita 4X and Verbatim 4X DVD+R’s from Meritline. I tried every software I have: Alcohol, Nero 6, RecordNow, but those DVD’s wont even write at 4X, always 1X. I also have a Pioneer 106 from firewire port and it writes to those discs at 4X with no problem at all. Unfortunately I realized that it is impossible to do a simulation writing with DVD+R discs :frowning: so I had to write every time at a speed of 1X to test the changes I’ve made : upgrading firmware from 1.02 to 1.03; power rec on/off, etc. I had some +RW discs, I saw that Plextor writes to them at 2.4… then why it doesnt write to Verbatim and Arita? As I said b4, not even @4X. Each program reports that the writing speed will be 8X, then suddenly falls to 1X, though Nero insists that it is writing at 8X, it takes more than 40 minutes to write a 4gig data.
Some OEM DVD-R’s (apparently Princo) also which burn at 4X in 106 report 2X with Plextor. Whats wrong with this 708A?
Would someone please help me?
Thanx in advance.

Are you positive your port is USB 2.0? Maximum DVD throughput with USB 1.1 is less than 1x.

What’s your system or USB contoller and what OS?

The Plextor enclosure also has FireWire. If using a third party enclosure, could be the bridge board in the enclosure is not 2.0? Try running a CD burn. If it won’t go over about 6x-8x you’re running with USB 1.1 somewhere,

Thanx for the reply… but then how come I am able to write 4X to DVD-R discs? Anyway it is a OEM USB 2.0 enclosure. I will switch Plextor to a ADS firewire enclosure to see what will happen… or else I’ll put it on my 2d ide as a slave.
BTW my mobo is a ASUS P800 with onboard USB2. P4 2.6 with 512 PC 3200 RAM. 2 Seagate HD on 1st ide. 2 CDRW on 2d ide. A firewire and a USB HD’s. Pioneer 106 on another firewire and the new Plextor on again another USB 2 enclosure. Both firewire enclosures are ADS. And my Maxtor HD (USB) and Plextor are reported as mass storage devices. I have 4 USB 2.0 devices (SB Audigy NX and Orinoco wireless USB) all shown under appropriate hub as USB 2.0

Plextor just posted firmware 1.04. Try that to see if it helps.

I just switched my 708A to a firewire enclosure. It ripped a PS2 DVD at a greater speed than Pioneer 106, with 3 seconds eject trick. Alcohol did a coaster just at the beginning without writing anything. (God! how many DVD+R I wasted tonight.) Nero started with great speed but at %36 it stopped a while and went on with a slower rate. As a whole it was slightly better than 4X I presume, because it burned 2905MB of data in 9:30, though Nero went on reporting that the writing process was at 8X.
I had read many user reports on the boards that 708 was writing 4.7G of data just over 8 minutes. I wonder when mine will write this. Arita disks (which are made by Ricoch) I read were burning at 8X. So I bought some. Now I am quite cautious to waste another Verbatim. Should I place the drive internally to a IDE port?
Thanx for the info on new firmware. I’ll give a try.
Best regards

Originally posted by peare1
I just switched my 708A to a firewire enclosure. It ripped a PS2 DVD at a greater speed than Pioneer 106, with 3 seconds eject trick. Alcohol did a coaster just at the beginning without writing anything. (God! how many DVD+R I wasted tonight.) Nero started with great speed but at %36 it stopped a while and went on with a slower rate. As a whole it was slightly better than 4X I presume, because it burned 2905MB of data in 9:30, though Nero went on reporting that the writing process was at 8X.
I had read many user reports on the boards that 708 was writing 4.7G of data just over 8 minutes. I wonder when mine will write this. Arita disks (which are made by Ricoch) I read were burning at 8X. So I bought some. Now I am quite cautious to waste another Verbatim. Should I place the drive internally to a IDE port?
Thanx for the info on new firmware. I’ll give a try.
Best regards

try to install it as an internal IDE drive and see if that works.
if it did then the problem is with your enclosure…if it didnt then it has something to do with your drive…

Another thing… Should I set PoweRec enabled or disabled? Plextools by default enables it. If I check disable and restart the system I find it enabled again. Should I set it to disable to get higher burning speed?

Originally posted by peare1
Another thing… Should I set PoweRec enabled or disabled? Plextools by default enables it. If I check disable and restart the system I find it enabled again. Should I set it to disable to get higher burning speed?

no you don’t have to disable it.PoweRec will monitor the burn and lower the speed when needed for best quality.plus you said in your first post that you have used Verbatim 4X DVD+R’s which are supported to be written at 8X (PoweRec won’t kick in in this case).
for me,i never disabled PoweRec on my writer and i can burn at 4X and 8X on the supported media.

Thanx a lot. Today I noticed that Pioneer 106 was writing DVR-R disks faster than 708. I made many tests with different 4X Media and pioneer started with 4.16X ended 4,12X whereas 708 has never surpassed 4.03X.
Another thing again… I found it weird that 708 could not read disk speed info in Nero CD/DVD speed. For instance 106 would say: speed 1-4X with this recorder, but 708 leaves this empty.

same thing for me…

manage to burn with usb2 — DVD-R at 4x
— DVD+R at 1x-2.2x

and with firewire — DVD-R at 4x
— DVD+R at 4,8x

wonder why:a