Please, crossflashing SH-S182M / remove riplock with patch utility

vbimport

I have been looking for hours for this answer, and I’m ready to give up. I have just ordered the Samsung SH-S182M. However, I now know that it has the famous lead-in problem, and it seems the best thing to do is to crossflash it with the Korean firmware (TS-H652M). The problem is, I read that I have to use SFDNWIN so that I can use -NOCHECK in order to crossflash, but before I learned about the lead in issue, I was planning on using the samsung flash utility mentioned here so that I can remove riplock and other options. But does that work with crossflashing? Also, I have read that SFDNWIN can cause some problems, and is not recommended. So it’s a catch-22. How can I fix the lead-in issue of the SH-S182M, while being able to use the samsung patch utility to remove riplock. Is there a firmware that has finally solved the lead-in? Please, if anybody has a suggestion, I’m all ears.
Thanks.

Hi,

at first, don’t panic and start with re-reading the FAQ, and also the first posts of the Patch Utility thread. Maybe then some things get clearer.

Of course you can “force” flash a patched firmware. No problem, normally.

Michael

I did read those, but i am still a bit confused. So would I crossflash the drive first using SFDNWIN, and then run the samsung patch utility and point it to that same patch again, to disable riplock and region codes etc.? What about the posts about avoiding SFDNWIN?

[QUOTE=gwent;2171634]I did read those, but i am still a bit confused. So would I crossflash the drive first using SFDNWIN, and then run the samsung patch utility and point it to that same patch again, to disable riplock and region codes etc.? What about the posts about avoiding SFDNWIN?[/QUOTE]

No, you do it all in one step. Use the patch utility on the firmware you want to cross-flash your drive with. The patch utility works with Samsung AND all of the Samsung compatible firmwares. No need for separate steps.

I don’t know what you mean about avoiding SFDNWIN. That program is what is used to flash firmware on all Samsung drives. You can’t avoid it, because it’s an official and standard utility. Using something other than SFDNWIN is what you want to avoid doing. The patch utility is for patching, not flashing, so maybe you have the functions of each confused.

And before you do anything, please make sure that you’re clear about EVERYTHING, lest you destroy your drive. Don’t cross-flash until everything is CRYSTAL CLEAR.

And another thing, is there a particular reason why you decided to buy a much older drive like the SH-S182M? The 18x Samsung drives are not going to necessarily work as well when patched as the newer 20x and 22x drives do. If I were looking for speed, I would have gotten a 202N or a 222N.

Hi,[quote=negritude;217163]
I don’t know what you mean about avoiding SFDNWIN. That program is what is used to flash firmware on all Samsung drives. You can’t avoid it, because it’s an official and standard utility. Using something other than SFDNWIN is what you want to avoid doing.[/quote]Samsung replaced SFDNWIN by TSDNWIN. The “forced” flashing option still works with the newer tool.:wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2171977]Hi,Samsung replaced SFDNWIN by TSDNWIN. The “forced” flashing option still works with the newer tool.:wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]yes plus TSDNWIN works with newer hardware and Vi$ta 64 bit.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2171977]Hi,Samsung replaced SFDNWIN by TSDNWIN. The “forced” flashing option still works with the newer tool.;)[/QUOTE]

Right. The point I was trying to make is that you use the official flashing tool, so there’s nothing to avoid. If he meant that he thought he was supposed to use the older tool instead of the newer one, it really doesn’t matter, since his drive is older, either will work.