PlayStation protection not based on bad sectors!

vbimport

Hey, there are sources that try to explain that the PSX boot protection works by having zeroed in values for EDC/ECC of sectors 12-15...

This is NOT true in my opinion...

I made a copy of Crash Bandicoot 2 using CloneCD. Then I stuck in the original PSX disc in the first CD-ROM and the copy in the second CD-ROM.

Then I used CDRWin's sector viewer to compare sectors 12-15 between original and copied. The copy WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL! All of the ECC/EDC headers were 0's and everything was identical to the original...

Then I tried it on a unmodded PlayStation and it says "Please insert original PlayStation Disc."

So I conclude that the protection IS NOT BASED ON BAD SECTORS! This is probably somewhere else...

The protection check on the PlayStation is wrtten to a part of the CD that a domestic CD Writer / writing program can not read or write to on a CDR.

Hence need to do a swap trick with an original or use a Mod chip.

Otherwise we’d all be copying PSX / PS2 backups and not bothering with mod chips.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]

Then I used CDRWin’s sector viewer to compare sectors 12-15 between original and copied. The copy WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL! All of the ECC/EDC headers were 0’s and everything was identical to the original…

[/B]

LOL as adrinaline said, the copy protection is pressed in the cd and not readable or writeble by a normal cdplayer or writer

LOL, Tha_stranga! Did you read the post carefully enough!?!? If you did, you would notice that it is about “PlayStation copyprotection NOT BASED on Bad Sectors!”.

So far, I have been right and you have been LOLing for no reason! :cool: