Playstation 3 mp4 settings

I have been searching here for a while and I can’t seem to find the answer to this question.
Is there a ps3 profile in dvdfab? Somebody created one? I would REALLY like to have some of my DVD movies on the PS3’s hard drive, but there doesn’t seem to be a

The ps3 would play psp files… but I know they could be so much better quality!
Or should I just use the PSP firmware 3.30+ settings, at full res and, say, 1200Kbps?

Any hints?

Hi,

Please try DVDFab 3.1.1.0 Beta to see the result:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=217857

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Ok, I tried a couple of settings and the default ps3 profile at 1 and 1.5Mbps seems to work fine.

I am not completely happy with the resolution, though. The profile max setting is 720x400 at 1.8 AR… but the movie I tried is 852x480 (widescreen), as well as some others I have around here. I am not sure what the limitation is but the fact is that I was playing with it last night, managed to transcode an 852x480 movie to the same resolution MP4 with DVDFab but it does not play properly on the PS3. I get a blank screen, even when PS3 initially seems to recognize the format. Audio works fine.

My question is: can DVDFab take 1:1? why resizing? And why 720x400 or 704x400?

I’ll be happy to betatest and make any tests you guys can think of, i’d really like to get to a stable ps3 profile that enables me one click transcoding of my movies so I can store them in the ps3.

I guess I could also look into header differences if I knew of a good .mp4 container validator, but othern than the prehistoric mp4UI i’m out of ideas.

Hi emgonzalez,

Thanks for your report, and 848x480 will be allowed in next release.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Hi emgonzalez,

Please try DVDFab 3.1.1.2 to see the result:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=218106

Best Regards,
Fengtao

1 Day Ago 03:05fengtaoHi emgonzalez,

Thanks for your report, and 848x480 will be allowed in next release.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

5 Hours Ago 03:53fengtaoHi emgonzalez,

Please try DVDFab 3.1.1.2 to see the result:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=218106

Best Regards,
Fengtao

How’s that for customer service!!:clap: Hope it works for you.

It seems that it takes them less time to implement the changes than it takes me to do a double pass transcode of a movie!!! :slight_smile: I takes over 8 hours in any of my 2 computers to do this…

I just saw the new version release earlier this morning. I am currently encoding a full size (852x480) PS3 two pass 1.5mbps and two PSPs, one 740x480 and one native resolution @768Kbps. I will post the results as soon as I finish encoding, but I would say those are killer specs.

Thank you for listening to your customers. I know that’s a very scarce skill nowadays…

The PSP encodes seem to work just fine. That is great news since that’s what I find most useful. Paying only about $45 for a 4GB memory stick, I can comfortably fit 4-5 full length movies on one and watch movies all weekend long when I go on a trip!

As per the PS3, I really meant 8 hours per pass… so 16 hours later I got my amost 2GB file, that plays excellent on the PC (I can barely notice pixelation and the details are great) but when I take it to the PS3 it just blacks out (with sound)… no image.
Any suggestions on what I can try? I don’t want to blindly waste another 16 hours…
Here are my settings:
848x480
1649kbps br, 2 pass, no subpicture
aac 128kbps

I just installed the new trial version. Is the PS3 profile only available on the registered version because I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I’m new to this DVDFab so maybe I’m just not looking in the right place?

Nevermind. I found it in the Generic module and feeling a little bit like a bonehead.

You have to choose “generic” in the main screen, select the parts you want to transcode and then hit next. In the next screen, click “configure”. Inside there, you have a selection box at the top that you can change from “generic” to “ps3”.

I would say that ps3 should have an option of its own, but that’s ultimately Fengtao’s choice :slight_smile:

I am currently running some tests because I still get the blank screen of death when I encode. I expect to be able to spend a few hours on this later tonight, I’ll keep you all posted.

None of these work :frowning:
832x464.ps3.2pass.1650Kbps.mp4
848x480.1pass.1650Kbps.mp4
848x480.2pass.1000Kbps.mp4
848x480.2pass.1650Kbps.mp4

I get sound, and the PS3 recognizes them as video, but just shows a blank screen when playing. Curiously enough, I can fast forward within the video (I can tell from the sound)
Suggestions?

Forgot to say I am using 3.1.1.3 Beta and that it seems that the process for batch encoding a few items is broken.
If you hit back after setting a job in the task list and change the settings, the previous task is gone and you get a new one instead, which makes the whole testing process so much more painful.

I need a drink. :slight_smile:

Hi emgonzalez,

I just done several test on PS3 with your settings, and all the playback is good.

Do you have the latest PS3 firmware 1.7 installed?

Best Regards,
Fengtao

thanks for the reply, fengato

I do have 1.7 installed. Would any header information help you? What tool should I use to extract the information?

I’ll be happy to make any tests you guide me through. you can also send me an email if that helps you.

I am really frustrated. I have tested many versions of the software, versions 1.6 through 1.8 of the PS3 firmware and I still get blank screens.
I successfully rendered 2 short clips yesterday, after a full clean uninstall (as recommended here), reboot, and then reinstall of the new version plus reboot but when I tried to do a full fledged movie, miserable failure.

I am calling for help, if anybody feels inclined.

Sorry you are meeting with no success.:frowning: Have another drink:bigsmile: and download Yamb. It will examine your files and tell you if there is a video stream present and what its characteristics are. There is a link to the Yamb download in the guide for making MP3s from DVDs in my sig. It’s the orange colored one.

First things first: Thanks so much for your reply. I think I am familiar enough with YaMB, and with the whole encoding thing, which only makes me more upset about the whole thing.

This one is [B]Not [/B]playing:

• Movie Info *
    Timescale 1000 - Duration 01:51:52.506
    Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
    File Brand isom - version 512
    Created: GMT Thu Mar 02 20:56:37 2006

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 01:51:52.505
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “vide” - Sub Type “avc1” - 201174 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 848 x 480 - Profile Baseline @ Level 1.3
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 848 x 480
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 01:51:51.957
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “soun” - Sub Type “mp4a” - 314623 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 2 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1

This one is playing:

• Movie Info *
    Timescale 1000 - Duration 00:02:18.072
    Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
    File Brand isom - version 512
    Created: GMT Thu Mar 02 20:56:37 2006

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 00:02:18.071
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “vide” - Sub Type “avc1” - 4138 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 640 x 480 - Profile Baseline @ Level 1.3
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 640 x 480
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:02:17.984
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “soun” - Sub Type “mp4a” - 6468 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 2 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1

The ps3 recognizes it as video (no “unsupported data” broken icon) but when I start playing it, I can hear the sound but I get no image (blank) I do get seeking back and forth (guess frame structure is all good) and I do get the overlay information if I press select on the sixaxis.
I just don’t get it, honestly :sad:

All of them play in VLC, no problems.

I don’t have a PS3 so I’m sure there are others more knowledgeable, but I noticed the following things about the “Informations” you posted from Yamb:
If the file generation dates are right, they were created many Fab versions ago. If this in fact the case, update Fab if you haven’t.
The two seem to have slightly different characteristics: 840x480 won’t play, 640x480 will. The 840x480 stream shows 201174 samples, the 640x480 only 4138. I’m not sure if any of this would or should be enough to cause a problem for the PS3, but if VLC plays both, the problems are not that serious and must be device (PS3) specific in some sense.
I’m glad you posted the yamb info. I hope Ting will have a chance to look at it and perhaps offer some thoughts.

Just for the sake of clarification, I just created these two files, with the latest version of DVDFab (right before 3.2 beta was out). I don’t understand where that timestamp came from; I just wanted to post it verbatim.

I do agree that the whole thing resides in that the PS3 is very picky when it comes to MP4 streams. I’ve been fooling with YaMB and many other encoders for a while, with limited PS3 success, which only proves your point.

Would you be so kind to explain to me why you say that the higher rez clip won’t play? They’re obviously very different in lenght (full movie vs a trailer) but to this point I am really wondering if I am just missing out on something trivial, but truly important for the PS3.