Playstation 3 HHD

I know that the PlayStation 3 has a 2.5 SATA HHD, but what I am wanting to find out is if it can be swapped out for a larger HHD. If the on-board BIOS will accept a, lets say a 500 BG or do I have to stay with the smaller 80 GB HHD. For those of you wanting to know why, I am wanting to turn it into a super computer using the UNIX as a base program then putting a windows OS on top. 7 CPUs x SPE @3.2GHz, 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs, 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE, and 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS. A GPU RSX @550MHz. Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels. Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines. Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing). This is a pretty fast computer, for the price. And would be great with my plasma tv for moives. :iagree:

Clunker, I bought the PS3 back in Dec 2008. Three days after I owned it I changed over the 80 GB HD to a Seagate 500 GB HD. Needless to say it has been working great! Just remember to get the 5200 RPM HD and not the 7200. The 7200 I was told may give you big issues. Contact me if you have any other questions.

[QUOTE=Gagy1;2306004]Clunker, I bought the PS3 back in Dec 2008. Three days after I owned it I changed over the 80 GB HD to a Seagate 500 GB HD. Needless to say it has been working great! Just remember to get the 5200 RPM HD and not the 7200. The 7200 I was told may give you big issues. Contact me if you have any other questions.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but did you have to copy any software from the original hard drive? And have you ever heard of someone doin what I am referring to? Thax :clap:

It works fine, backup your data (profile) before switching and off you go.
Get a 5400 RPM HDD with as few platters as possible.
//Danne

Clunker, Sorry I meant to say a 5400 2.5" Laptop HD. The only thing you need to save off the old hard drive is what ever you stored on it. The operating system is stored on a chip in the unit. If you go on to “You Tube” and look up how to switch over to a bigger HD. There are tons of info videos on there. That’s how I did mine. Never did what you wanted to do but I know the info is on that site. Good luck.