Playstation 2 DVD's +R or -R

vbimport

Hello i have one of latest PS/2 version (i believe V5 or so)
I made a backup on a -R DVD and not able to read it.

Is +R better ?

With a Version 5 PS2, both -R and +R will work. However, -R is cheaper so I suggest you use it over +R.

Scott

In a v5 +R is usually better, but also more expensive.

/MLS

Originally posted by MLS
[B]In a v5 +R is usually better, but also more expensive.

/MLS [/B]

Wrong! You have a better success rate with -R no matter what as long as it is decent media. I know this for a fact as I am a modchip guru, focusing half my time both using 'em, and installing 'em.

Scott

wah! thanks for you input guys! my bro has a PS2 version 1.2? or 2.xx? and i tried playing DVD-R and doesn’t work… how do i upgrade to latest firmware? thank you!

Is doesn’t matter what version your PS2 is. They are all capable of reading DVD-R, its just not allowed. To get the PS2 to accept a DVD-R, you need to mod your PS2 using a modchip. For modchips I recommend consolesource.

Scott

i got the messiah 1.

Which versions of PS2 will accept +r media?

Originally posted by mhijma
[B]Hello i have one of latest PS/2 version (i believe V5 or so)
I made a backup on a -R DVD and not able to read it.

Is +R better ? [/B]

Do you have a MOD chip installed?

Originally posted by sonyman
[B]
Wrong! You have a better success rate with -R no matter what as long as it is decent media. I know this for a fact as I am a modchip guru, focusing half my time both using 'em, and installing 'em.

Scott [/B]

I’m not a mod n00b, I’ve seen mixed results in both categories and if you were as informed as you claim to be you’d know theres no definitive answer for v5+ consoles, v4 and before are -R for sure.

@Topic Poster: you might find this thread helpful:
http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103

@shuebhussain: v5+ will all read +R, some v3s have been reported to have read +R, I recommend you read that thread as well.

/MLS

You will get mixed results as long as you use Princo or similar bad discs

How can I determine if a PS2 is v3 v4 v5 or v.whatsoever?

Originally posted by alexnoe
You will get mixed results as long as you use Princo or similar bad discs

That may be, I’m only going off of what others have told me, I haven’t kept track of what every single one has used for media. I know I’ve seen at least one person say that TY -R media didnt work for them, or produced booting results and long load times, while +R worked fine. Unless you think TY media is crap? Also, laser azimuth and diode calibration vary from ps2 to ps2, which allows for mixed results anyways.

/MLS

I have copied a ps/2 game from -r to +R and it works super !

(with a magic chip)

I think the better media for ps2 is dvd-r its well known around ps2 forums…

Overall, I have found that with all the Playstation 2s I have modded, DVD-R is best for backups. DVD+R media will work, but it seems to load slower, causes the laser to spin harder, and I have found it causes lock-ups during game play. I have also found that PS2s are also decent at reading DVD-RW (haven’t tried +RW) I have also found that you need to use good quality CD-R/W, or DVD-/+R/W media or you will damage your laser (I have killed one laser unit accidently that way CLUNK CLUNK and another in an experiment to figure out what happened)

Well I don’t own a modded v5+, I was just reiterating what people have told me. My v4 can only read -R anyways. My friend has a v7, and was having boot issues with Memorex -Rs, and had a better boot ratio with Fuji (TY) +Rs. Which made me think +R was better, but he recently tried some Ritek -R discs, and has gotten better results than the Fuji +Rs from the Riteks. On a side note he has a Magic 3.1 chip that has a shoddy boot ratio to begin with, I’ve never failed to boot a game on my Messiah2. So I suppose in the end it comes down to whether the highest quality -R is better than the highest quality +R. It seems that from what people are posting and my friend’s experience that -R wins in current consoles. Who knows I’m just trying to be helpful.

/MLS