PlayStation 2 being offered in China despite rampant piracy

I just posted the article PlayStation 2 being offered in China despite rampant piracy.

GristyMcFisty used our news submit to tell us Sony intends to launch its PlayStation 2 game console in China next month, saying on Friday it must be “courageous” in the face of rampant…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7218-PlayStation-2-being-offered-in-China-despite-rampant-piracy.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7218-PlayStation-2-being-offered-in-China-despite-rampant-piracy.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t know the opinion of u ppl, but i think $20 a game is way TOO MUCH for a very poor country like China (the base salary there is below $70, how do u think ppl will have the money to spend ?). I myself think that Sony could end up with a revolucionary price as low as $10 maximum. But $20 ? Certainly it’ll sell some original games, even a $20 each, but the economic success it’ll be at risk, since i doubt ppl will prefer spend $20 on a game insted of $1… Off course, $10 (or even $5) could have a strong appeal, but i don’t think ppl will spend $20 on a game, since a lot of ppl there has a base salary very below $100 to live. And the PS2 for $240 !? for god’s sake… Maybe it’s $240 to compensate the piracy in the software side. The only “smart” move of Sony is to lunch his videogame unprotected. But $20 for a game is a very bad move even considerating that the normal price (for a very new game) is $50 around the world. But u have to consider that around the globe very few countries is so poor to have a base salary of $60 (here in Brazil is $80), in the USA on the other side (i think) is $1600 for a low class citizen and around $4000 for medium class. Knowing this u have to understand that $50 for a game for someone that have a salary of $4000/month sounds VERY different for someone that have a monthly salary of $60!!! Even $20 for this ppl is an insult! Until the capitalist ppl understand this the piracy will reign untouchable, forever… JR

I don’t know the opinion of u ppl, but i think $20 a game is way TOO MUCH for a very poor country like China (the base salary there is below 70 dollars, how do u think ppl will have the money to spend ?). I myself think that Sony could end up with a revolucionary price as low as 10 dollars maximum. But 20 dollars? Certainly it’ll sell some original games, even a 20 dollars each, but the economic success it’ll be at risk, since i doubt ppl will prefer spend 20 dollars on a game insted of 1 dollar… Off course, 10 dollars (or even 5 dollars) could have a strong appeal, but i don’t think ppl will spend 20 dollars on a game, since a lot of ppl there has a base salary very below 100 dollars to live. And the PS2 for 240 dollars !? for god’s sake… Maybe it’s 240 dollars to compensate the piracy in the software side. The only “smart” move of Sony is to lunch his videogame unprotected. But 20 dollars for a game is a very bad move even considerating that the normal price (for a very new game) is 50 dollars around the world. But u have to consider that around the globe very few countries is so poor to have a base salary of 60 dollars (here in Brazil is 80 dollars), in the USA on the other side (i think) is 1600 dollars for a low class citizen and around 4000 dollars for medium class. Knowing this u have to understand that 50 dollars for a game for someone that have a salary of 4000 dollars/month sounds VERY different for someone that have a monthly salary of 60 dollars!!! Even 20 dollars for this ppl is an insult! Until the capitalist ppl understand this the piracy will reign untouchable, forever… PS: Sorry ppl, i have to repost again since there’s a problem here that the page don’t accept the ‘dollar simbol’, so i have to resend again changing the dollar mark for the name. And i don’t know how to delete last messages. So… :S JR

jcsm, you also forgot to mention that China is also the second largest PC market in the world, as well as the second largest cell phone market in the world. In fact, China is poised to take over Japan as the second largest world economy in less than 20 years. It would be stupid of Sony to NOT release their console there officially while Nintendo gobbles up all the market share with their iQue. Also, just because Sony is releasing the PS2 in China doesn’t mean people aren’t playing PS2 there already, it just means that Sony is releasing an official version for the region. Besides, I don’t think anybody would buy a PS2 at such a high price, not because people can’t afford it, but because they can import it from other places (i.e. Chinese / HK shops like Lan-Kwei and Lik-sang, among countless others) for much less and essentially for the same product. By the way, I think Sony is targeting the more “developed” areas of China, namely the coastal (non-rural) areas. You’d be surprised how much money people make there. In fact, the cost of living in China’s coastal areas rival that of Tokyo, Japan. You are talking more about the entire nation’s averages (including rural areas) that of course would not apply here (they probably don’t even have electricity there, let alone know about PS2s, etc.) On a final note, I am very curious which games are to be released. If they are already PS2 greatest hits (i.e. Devil May Cry) here in the US, then I would understand the 20 dollar price. If they are releasing games that just came out in the US (not likely) for 20 dollars (i.e. Legacy of Kain or XIII), then I guess we would be overpaying for games big time here. Oh yeah, and jcsm: just a tip for next time, hit the edit button at the top left of your post instead of double posting.
[edited by skyline311 on 29.11.2003 02:02]