Plays on one DVD player but not another

vbimport

Dumb newbie question here goes:

Ben learning DVD burning for just a few weeks: I compete with large scale radio control aircraft so the old documentaries available through the internet really help. So ! I am learning to D/L and burn to DVD to use on a home TV, not just computer.

The Question (this may be way too general, if so point me in the right direction) I burn a DVD, it will play back one one machine then not work on another. Some work on one, some work on another. Both players are just a couple of years old. Here’s what I am burning

iso file = Image Burn
avi files AVS Video Converter

both convert the files to .vob and all play on the computer

there ya are !!

Denis

Some dvd players are just picky about playing burned disks. There are several things you didn’t mention that might help us help you…the make and model dvd burner you have, the types of disks you are using, the burning program you are using and the speed at which you are burning.

We recommend getting high quality disks. At the moment the most recommended types are Verbatim 16x and Taiyo Yuden 8x +R. You can find Verbatim at Best Buy (in the US), and you can buy TY online at sites like rima.com and supermediastore.com. I tend to burn everything at 8x, but you could go to 12x safely on the Verbatims. If you are using lesser quality disks, a general rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disks.

It is also possible to bitset +R disks so that they look like a commercially made dvd to the player. This increases compatibility. We would have to know which model burner you have before we could tell you if it can do this.

Kerry: Thanks already info I didn’t know

here’s more info

I use cheap discs Staples Brand, rated at 16X I assumed discs were discs
so I will certainly get better quality

Burner = Plextor PX708A which came with my computer (Aileanware)

Software = Image Burn (write speed has been default which indicated “Max” . Max on the slider is 56X (I use this for the iso files)

Software = AVS Video Converter. Converting avi to a DVD media then burning at a default speed of 4.1X

Denis

[QUOTE=Knucklebutt;2159524]Kerry: Thanks already info I didn’t know

here’s more info

I use cheap discs Staples Brand, rated at 16X I assumed discs were discs
so I will certainly get better quality

Burner = Plextor PX708A which came with my computer (Aileanware)

Software = Image Burn (write speed has been default which indicated “Max” . Max on the slider is 56X (I use this for the iso files)

Software = AVS Video Converter. Converting avi to a DVD media then burning at a default speed of 4.1X

Denis[/QUOTE]

First thing to do is slow the burn speed down your not in a Grand Trismo race here. Go half the rated media burn speed and that might improve your reads on other computer and standalone. Max burning has been the cause for alot of bad and coaster burns.

Looking at the specifications on the Plextor drive you have, it looks like a fairly old burner. Top speed is 8x on +R and 4x on -R disks according to this page: http://www.plextor.com/english/products/708A.html

I think the most compatible media you can find for this drive would be the Taiyo Yuden I mentioned that you can buy online, or 8x Verbatim that is still available at Best Buy. Those particular Verbatim have an image of a movie reel printed on the top of the disk. I would get the +R variety. 16x Verbatim would be the next best choice.

I believe it is possible to bitset with this drive using ImgBurn. Open ImgBurn, click on Tools at the top of the window, then Drive. Look through the drop down list until you see Change Booktype. Click on the Plextor tab. Change the setting for DVD +R to DVD Rom.