Playo DVD-R (MCC03RG20) Longevity

I’m attaching two scans of the same disk done 7 months apart. These were both burned and scanned at 8x using a BenQ DW1650. The disk has not been used, so there are no scratches. It appears the PI failures are up, but is this significant?

Well, Playo is fake Mitsubishi media so it might be problematic. Don’t use it for long term storage.

Any degradation should be shown in the basic error rate, which is the PIE.

A rise in PIF as here, is more likely to be dust, fingerprints, scuff marks or scratches.

I’d say there’s no degradation in those 7 months.

This rise in PIF has been spread all over the disc though (and BenQ does not count the PIF as PIE, however this is not important here).

Looks pretty good for a fake media.

I’ve heard these actually last a while and I have not seen any reports of degradation on these discs.

Obviously I wouldn’t trust it for important stuff, but it looks decent for everyday use.

I wouldn’t worry about the PIE levels, they are still far within spec and generally I have not seen a disc with 400K of PIE make issues with DVD players.

The disk went straight from the burn to a case and has not been opened since, the surface is immaculate. I’m going to check some Verbs to see if they show similar changes.

I found another Playo disk I scanned back in November, so this one is 9 months old. The disk was stored and has not been touched since.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94755&stc=1

A bit hard to read:

PIE Avg: 13.86
PIE Max: 44
PIE: 175,141

PIF Avg: .41
PIF Max: 9
PIF: 4,517

For comparison, this is a Verbatim MCC03RG20 burned at around the same time and scanned recently:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94756&stc=1

PIE Avg: 14.53
PIE Max: 30
Total: 148,472

PIF Avg: .10
PIF Max: 6
Total: 803

Here are recent scans of these two disks I’ve posted scans for previously. They were from my first ever spindle of Playos. I got in on the 420 disk (7 spindles of 60) for $20 deal awhile back and should have a few more scans posted from the two spindles of those I have used up since. So far, some 180 Playo disks burned and I think I’ve only had a single burn failure. The burner stopped midway and the dye looked a bit smeared on inspection.

Five years later and here is one of the Playos from scans above, this one is now getting a “0” Quality Score, but it still plays fine. Disc is still immaculate, it was stored in a dry, dark shelf and in a case.

Interesting, other disc stored similarly does not show near as much degradation.

Meanwhile, the true MCC03RG20 shines…