Playing Ultra HD Blu-ray discs on PC's not likely

vbimport

Its been noted before, that the new Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will probably not be playable from home computers, but another confirmation of that came this week, with the release of PowerDVD 16. This software is one of only two left that have authorization to play regular Blu-ray discs on PC’s, so a few of us were waiting to see if Cyberlink would have any support in their software for the UHD discs. Nope.

Here’s the specifications list for PowerDVD 16: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec-ultra_en_US.html

This isn’t surprising, considering that there is not a single Blu-ray computer drive that has been officially authorized for UHD playback. A couple of LG drives can read the files on the discs, but without software that can deal with the encryption, there is currently no hope of playing them on a computer.

I doubt that anything will change this year, and we may never see a computer player for UHD, since that might prove to be a toehold for those wishing to make copies of the discs.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2772428]
I doubt that anything will change this year, and we may never see a computer player for UHD, since that might prove to be a toehold for those wishing to make copies of the discs.[/QUOTE]
Sounds about right. :frowning:

Won’t stop the pirates though. Just penalise those who went out and bought a disc. (Some things never change. :rolleyes:)

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2772428]This software is one of only two left that have authorization to play regular Blu-ray discs on PC’s,[/QUOTE]Hi Kerry,

The other one is Macgo, right?

Hiro

I didn’t realize that Macgo had a version for Windows PC’s. That means there are three authorized Blu-ray players, including PowerDVD, WinDVD and Macgo.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2772924]I didn’t realize that Macgo had a version for Windows PC’s. That means there are three authorized Blu-ray players, including PowerDVD, WinDVD and Macgo.[/QUOTE]I started using it about two months ago. It doesn’t show Menu, but overall it has been working great on my Windows 7 Pro PC.

My old friend alan1476 says it’s the same as Leawo, but it’s way more stable on my system.

Ah, if it doesn’t play menus, then it isn’t fully authorized and licensed by the BDA.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2772928]Ah, if it doesn’t play menus, then it isn’t fully authorized and licensed by the BDA.[/QUOTE]I see.

It says certified though. They lied to me! :sad:

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/windows-bluray-player.htm#overview

I just tried a retail copy of Star Wars The Force Awakens w/Macgo. I had to go “Other Titles” and select the second one to play the correct title.

It did play the movie though without AnyDVD HD.

Sorry for being off topic.

Hiro