Playing Region Free DVDs?

I was recently thinking about buying some Region Free DVDs and was first wondering if they will even play on Region 1 dvd players.

If they are region free, they should play on any player.

Thanks RCM

[QUOTE=jbarr2008;2445919]I was recently thinking about buying some Region Free DVDs and was first wondering if they will even play on Region 1 dvd players.[/QUOTE]

Really Regin free DVDs?? That is news to me I know they have Region free dvd players. Are you sure your not mixing up the terminology?

I’ve read that it’s possible to burn “region free” DVDs, and that DVD players in any region are [i]supposed to[i] be able to play them.

But I’ve also read that some manufacturers are now making their players to refuse to play region free DVDs because more often than not they’re pirated movies.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2446135]Really Regin free DVDs?? That is news to me I know they have Region free dvd players. Are you sure your not mixing up the terminology?[/QUOTE]

Quite a few concert/music DVDs are ‘region free’ although ‘all regions’ would probably be the more correct term.

For movies though AFAIK it’s almost non-existent.

[B]Wombler[/B]

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Region free on discs can mean two things:

• All regions are selected (1 till 9 or ALL)
  • No regions are selected (0)

Region free on dvd players can mean two things:

• You can play dvd’s from any region 1 - 9
  • It ignores the region setting of your disc completely