Playing mp3s on my hifi

I have just bought a new hifi on which I am supposed to be able to play mp3s. I copied a whole lot of mp3s onto a CD and it would not play on my hifi. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I tried using Direct CD to create a music CD but it only allows me to put the same number of files on the CD as I would if they were WAV’s. I thought the whole purpose of an mp3 player was to put 150 tracks on a CD and play them. Will my hifi do this or can I only copy the same number of mp3’s as WAV’s for a hifi

Any tips, comments appreciated

Originally posted by richardby
I tried using Direct CD to create a music CD but it only allows me to put the same number of files on the CD as I would if they were WAV’s.

You said it yourself here, you created a music CD, the mp3 files are converted to Music CD (cda files), hence, a regular audio CD.

You should copy the mp3 files onto CD as data CD.

But please include more info on your hifi

Originally posted by richardby
[B]I have just bought a new hifi on which I am supposed to be able to play mp3s. I copied a whole lot of mp3s onto a CD and it would not play on my hifi. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I tried using Direct CD to create a music CD but it only allows me to put the same number of files on the CD as I would if they were WAV’s. I thought the whole purpose of an mp3 player was to put 150 tracks on a CD and play them. Will my hifi do this or can I only copy the same number of mp3’s as WAV’s for a hifi

Any tips, comments appreciated [/B]

The hifi said it plays mp3s?

I have never heard of a “hi-fi” that will play data files. I do know, however, that there is now some hard&soft-ware that will connect your PC to your stereo. There is a device that sits atop your stereo, a control centre if you will.

Around 450 Canadian. I wonder if the quality would be adversely effected by the distance of the cable (as most audio systems are). I would think, that most would not have their two systems in the same room (kinda defeats the purpose).

Interested to see how this thread plays out.

Creating a “data” cd will only get you files/folders. You can, actually, create a mp3 cd which will play like an audio cd (as we know). The benefit is, of course, that you will also have ID tags. Most audio systems are compatible with id1 (or, whatever its called). At least as car audio systems are concerned.

I have multiple cds for the car, all with the “correct” tags (make a note of this, you will have to check them before you burn them).

Next, mp3 players are not compatible with m3u/pls (the playlists). You will need to manually edit each filename (not tags) with the prefix 01, 02, 03 etc, in order to get them to play in the order you want.

A lot of work, to be sure. However, worth the hassle, as far as I am concerned.

A lot of current dvd-players are also able to play mp3 cds. But most of the time these players have restrictions on the location of the mp3 on the cd. For example they can only play mp3’s which are in directories which are only 1 level deep. So read the manual of your hifi system. And burn the mp3 cds as data cd.

limitations also include the bitrate.
keep around 128kbs, then slowly work your way up.

(OR read the manual)