Playing Movies from HDD to TV

vbimport

Hi there, I am looking for a way to copy a large collection of DVD & B/Ray Movies to a USB HDD. I want to be able to have some sort of menu/search system that I can set up to use to select the movie I want to watch on my TV. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers to all.:confused:

Welcome to the forums piche.

Do you want to play the movies from a hdd in a computer, or do you want to use a hardware media player (for example, a WD TV Live)?

A home theater pc can be set up to play your movies using something like Windows Media Center, or XBMC. http://xbmc.org/about/
And there are other choices.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2674838]Welcome to the forums piche.

Do you want to play the movies from a hdd in a computer, or do you want to use a hardware media player (for example, a WD TV Live)?

A home theater pc can be set up to play your movies using something like Windows Media Center, or XBMC. http://xbmc.org/about/
And there are other choices.[/QUOTE]

Thanksfor the welcome. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I want to copy the movies to an external USB drive then plug the drive directly into the USB input on my Samsung 3D TV. Then be able to select from a menu which movie I want to watch. I would probably clone the HDD when loaded to a second HDD to take when I travel.

Ok, but you’re outside my experience here, so I’ll let someone else chip in with answers.

Thanks Kerry56, will keep finger crossed for a solution.

piche, what you described is how I play dvd and blu-ray files.
I too have a Samsung but it isn’t 3D.

Here’s what works for me, I don’t know if Samsung has changed up the way files play on internal media player since mine is about a year or so old.

Anyway, for dvds, I copy main movie to computer hard drive using dvdfab.
Seems the new dvdfabs versions are different now…my version is from the middle of last year.
Then I run the files through VOB2MPG and the output is a single .mpg file
This will play in the Sammy’s media player fine.

For blu-rays, it gets more complicated but generally I run it through dvdfab,
selecting entire disc.
To get just the movie part I then use BDtoAvchd, select correct playlist then set it up so it will not do any re-encoding…that part is important.
If you desire to shrink the size any, it is better to use BD Rebuilder.
Now here is an important step…if you are going to use the blu-ray file…at least
on my tv…it doesn’t play m2ts at all…check your manual and see if yours does…
if not…I simply rename the .m2ts to .ts and the tv media player doesn’t care and plays it perfectly.
You can select MKV extension file in BDtoAVCHD if you would want to try that.

Unless Samsung has changed something, playing from external usb was a mystery as to how to keep it from dropping the power to the usb hard drives.
After much research, I came upon a simple solution for that simply by using a powered ubs port, connecting the ext. hard drive to powered usb then connecting powered usb to tv.

I think that about sums it up…remember dealing with blu-ray files is more complicated…so likely you will have to learn how to do it.

Hi Steve33, thanks for the great info. I will check out the programs you suggested and give it a go. Did you set up any form of menu/search system to pick the move once it was loaded to the HDD? Cheers
Geoff

No, it looks similar to a computer folder…I suppose you could create some kind of folder tree. Take this one step at a time,make sure your tv player will do what you want.

I use a dock AKA toaster . It has a “wall wart” so no power problem of the USB needing to supply power.I have tested other formats like mkv ,avi , mpg .
I haven’t tried any .m2ts buity I’m going to keep Steve33’s tip in mind for changing it to just .ts.
What I usually use is DVD compliant folders ripped strait to the HDD I have in this dock. On the TV there is an icon with the movie title below it . Only part of a title if it is a long one. I can usually tell which movie it is anyway.
There is a slight loading pause between .vobs but this is acceptable to me.
My TV is a Sharp Aquos 46" & not 3D.
This may not help with the Samsung 3D TV but I thought I would post just it in case.

cholla, there is a little difference in the stuctures of .m2ts and .ts, I think packet size…or something like that.

I more or less was experimenting when I found that the Sammy inboard player would play the file when I renamed the .m2ts to .ts.

Otherwise one can process (wrap) the blu-ray file in a mkv.
I’ve did that a few times using BDtoAVCHD.

Good advise, I’ll check it works first. Thanks again.