Playing Matrix DL DVDs on PS2

vbimport

I’ve been burning single-layer DVDs using a Lite-On LH-20A1P-186 burner, Nero Express 7, and Memorex DVD+Rs (RW) for a few weeks now with no problems at all.

But today, I started burning DLs using Matrix DVD+R DLs (RW) and have encountered a problem: the DVDs I burn won’t play on my Playstation 2 (it says “Disc Read Error”). This is the only DVD player I have other than my computer and a friend’s, both of which the DLs I burn do play on. My friend burned some DL DVDs using Memorex DLs and they play on the PS2 without any problems. What might be the cause(s) of this? I’m new to this, so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

(Note: I am not using downloaded ISO files, but making backups of purchased DVDs.)

Hi egmassa and welcome to CD Freaks,

It looks like a media problem, I don’t know those Matrix +R DL media but I guess they are cheap and of low quality. You could do a Disc Quality scan using Nero CD/DVD Speed with your Lite-On drive and post the results here, then we can say more.

Anyway, I suggest you to use high quality DL media, such as Verbatim, they are more expensive but the only good DL media available at the moment.

As of yet, there is no DL RW media.

Buy Verbatim DL, the only choice.

I tracked down a standalone DVD player and they play fine, so I’m thinking it may be a PS2 problem. I’ll buy Verbatim in the future, but as of now have 50 of these Matrix DLs and don’t want to just throw them out. Let me know if you think there’s anything I can do and I’ll post a Speed scan, didn’t want to this time because I’d have to waste a disc on it (won’t scan without CreateDisc for some reason).

You don’t have to waste a disc on it, simply scan one of the already burned discs ;).

Here it is, looks awful, though it played fine.

Quality score was above 90 until that very last part, when it dropped to 0… all errors and jitters are between 4.0 and 7.0… I’m not really sure how to read this though, does this mean that there’s an error on the disc about halfway into the film, or at least at whatever point in the film is near the 4.0gb mark?

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P
Firmware: KL05
Disc: DVD+R DL (RICOHJPN D00)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 548
Average: 108.19
Total: 3126127
PI failures
Maximum: 45
Average: 0.15
Total: 34765
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 16:00
Number of samples: 179273
Average scanning interval: 1.29 ECC
Glitches removed: 5

Also, what does the “glitches removed” imply? Can I improve disc quality with this utility? Thanks again!

If you could attach a pic of the scan, that would be great. One or two points can be made from the data above: the halfway point is where the laser has to change from one layer to the other, and things are not usually smooth on any disc. What speed did you burn them at?

Some comparative results for D00 are to be found in the Blank Media forum here…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=127175&highlight=RICOHJPN+D01