Playing Divx video files

vbimport

Hello,
I have a new Panasonic DMR-EX78EB dvd/hdd video recorder/player.

The manual says I should be able to play ‘Divx’ or ‘avi’ format video files from a usb memory stick. There was a usb memory stick with the unit with divx files on it which played ok.

If I copy avi files from my pc to a usb stick they will not play on the Panasonic. I get an error message ‘format not known’ or similar.

What am I doing wrong please

Thanks

KK

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Two possible causes of this are that the memory card is not formatted in FAT32 and that the avi resolution is too high for the player.

To exclude an incompatible format (i.e. a movie encoded in a way that the player is not able to read) check your movies with gspot. This free tool will give you all information about the AVI file :slight_smile:

I have found some of the USB DVD players to be picky when reading from the USB port. I have an RCA DRC285 and periodically it needs to be unplugged to “clear” out its internal memory or to reset something. Also, it seems to prefer to have the unit turned on before the USB device is connected. You might want to give this a try and see if it works.

I think nearly all flash memory drive are formatted with FAT, FAT16 or FAT32 so I doubt that is the problem. Try another flash drive if you have one. Also, if you are using a memory card in a USB card reader then this can cause a reading error. I have seen this on the players I own. If you ever use a 2.5" hard drive then make sure it is formatted to a FAT file system and you have it plugged into an external power supply. Most USB players don’t supply enough power through the USB port to power a 2.5" hard drive.

If you want to find out exactly what your player will and will not decode, download DIVX Test Disc, burn the CD and run through the tests. There are literally dozens of variations on MPEG4 and DIVX that may or may not play for you. Resolution and bitrate are the 2 most common limitations. It’s a certainty that the Panny will not handle >720x480.

[QUOTE=CDan;2145508]If you want to find out exactly what your player will and will not decode, download DIVX Test Disc, burn the CD and run through the tests. There are literally dozens of variations on MPEG4 and DIVX that may or may not play for you. Resolution and bitrate are the 2 most common limitations. It’s a certainty that the Panny will not handle >720x480.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. Most DVD players have a resolution/bitrate limit. If the file exceeds this then it won’t play it even if it has an AVI extension. Also, I think they can only play files that are less than 2 gig in size. For FAT32 I think the size limit is 4 gig so this could be another reason for the problem.