Playing converted files on ipod

vbimport

Hello,

I’m a new user for DVDFab Platinum and new to this forum, so please don’t shoot me if this is a stupid question.

I am able to convert DVD’s to my ipod, but I am unable to play the converted file directly from my ipod. Strangely, if my ipod is connected to my computer, I can locate it in my ipod directory (using the windows browser) and play the file just fine using Quicktime.

However, when I try to play the file directly on my ipod, I cannot even locate the file. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Markques

Hi markquesm and welcome to cdfreaks,

[B]Bang![/B]…
Just kidding…:bigsmile:

I apologize if this seems overly obvious, but you have to import the files to ITunes and then sync your Ipod.

Hope this helps and don’t hesitate to post back and tell me…of course I did that…

I agree with maineman, if you don’t upload the movie to your ipod through iTunes, it’s most likely you won’t be able to watch it.

Read this and you’ll have your answers.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080420173343AAZ5fRa&show=7

Thanks for the info… however, I have it in iTunes, but when I sync my iPod, I get an error message that the DVD cannot be played on this iPod.

Any additional suggestions?

Which Ipod do you have?

Hi markquesm,

Please check your firmware version of iPod, and maybe you need an update.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

In addition to Jethro’s and Fengtao’s excellent questions, I have more.
Could you tell us what your configuration settings are for the mpeg-4 conversions?
It sounds like this problem involves more than just one movie?
Have you ever successfully converted to mpeg-4 so that it plays on your Ipod?

I have a 5th generation video ipod with 30 gig hardrive. My software is up to date per Apple’s site.

No - I have never successfully played an MP4 file on my ipod.

And my settings on DVDfab platinum are:

Device: ipod - ipod.mpeg4
Video Format
Fixed Bitrate - 2330 kbps (default)
Frame Resolution - 720x540
No Split
Framerate: 29.97 fps
Audio Bitrate - 64 kbps
No Subpicture

[QUOTE=markquesm;2055132]I have a 5th generation video ipod with 30 gig hardrive. My software is up to date per Apple’s site.

No - I have never successfully played an MP4 file on my ipod.

And my settings on DVDfab platinum are:

Device: ipod - ipod.mpeg4
Video Format
Fixed Bitrate - 2330 kbps (default)
Frame Resolution - 720x540
No Split
Framerate: 29.97 fps
Audio Bitrate - 64 kbps
No Subpicture[/QUOTE]

Which version of Fab are you using 4, 5,…5.0.2.0, I do not see that as a supported profile in 5.0.2.0

I was using version 4. I’m currently using 5.0.2.0. I had the same problem with both versions.

Where did you get the profile you listed in your #8 post? if it is correct that is your problem it is not supported (720x540)? The bit rate is about 1000 kbps to big, should be around 1300 for the default.

You are very near the max allowable bitrate and the screen size is needlessly large unless you are going to play these files back on a TV. Anything much over the native screen of the device is overkill, and a smaller screen size encoding will give you more bits per pixel at a much lower bitrate and file size.

Video support H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Maybe give this profile a try:H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am finally able to burn, import, and play DVD’s on my ipod. I truly appreciate all the help.

One more question, I want to save the DVD ISO files onto an external hard drive (to burn a new DVD or to a mobile device at a later date), but I can only save it to the default location on the C drive. I get an error that says process failed.

Any suggestions?